What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mosin Nagant 7.62

timeout

I have drawn a blank with this round. My understanding is that the two sets of numbers on the headstamp are top 21 = factory/arsenal, and the bottom 79 is the year. From my research three countries used 21. Hungary, Poland and Romania. When Poland used it the date stamp was upside down so that is Poland out of it. Does anyone know how to tell Hungary and Romania apart. Thanks again.....paul.

mosin nagant.JPGmosin nagant 1.JPG

Sorry guys but I think I might have found my answer, Its from Hungary Mtravidki Fmmvek Sirok, the Romanian ones have RPR after the 21. That stands for
People’s Republic of Romania

Last edited:
Well, Romania used the "RPR" suffix only from 1947-1965.
But factory 21 in Romania (S.C. Uzina Mecanica Cugir SA, Cugir) ever made any 7.62x54R + back then Romania had no grey colored case coatings.
The main product profile before the 2001 was 12.7x108 and 14.5x114 and in the post war years the 7.62x25, 9x18, 9x19 and 7.92x57 but the SAA production then ceased for many decades.
Since at least 1997 they are also making 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 and maybe others. You may check their website.

ok EOD so what you are saying is that it could still be Romania. After a few week trolling the internet I am still not there. I will go and do some more research and see what I can come up with. Thanks for steering me ...........paul

ok EOD so what you are saying is that it could still be Romania. After a few week trolling the internet I am still not there. I will go and do some more research and see what I can come up with. Thanks for steering me ...........paul

No, it is not Romania!
I said they never made this cal in factory #21 and at that time none such colored case coatings.

No, Poland is out as they used inverted dates till 2008/09 (upside down) and also had no grey case coatings in the given years.

It must be Hungarian. Despite some code tables found all over the internet 21 is not Sirok but Bakony Művek, Veszprm. Sirok is 23