Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks

help required : Locations/Photographs Seaside Naval Mines used as collecting boxes

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of an unusual request.
    I'm sure we all remember seeing the bright red painted WW2 naval mines dotted around our seaside resorts and used as a means of raising funds for the Shipwrecked Mariners Society. At one time they seemed to be literally in every seaside town visited, however now their numbers seem to be diminishing to a certain degree. Its a bit like the old red telephone boxes, taken for granted whilst they exist, but then one day they are no longer there.

I have searched on the web for photos of the mines in various locations and have found 'quite a few' photos; I have also found a number mentioned which I cannot find photos of.

So guys, do you know of a mine in existence that I havent got listed? If so let me know about it (and where possible a location within the town).
    I am also interested in locations where a mine once was and is no longer - again photos if possible and location of where it used to be.

It will be interesting to see how many are out there........so have a think back to days of youth and dig out the old photo albums !!! a trip down memory lane.

I'm doing this for a bit of fun......its good to see that some mines are now being restored and are being seen for the treasure that they are, and indeed part of our seaside heritage - as well as a way to raise money for a good cause.

all help much appreciated.

kind regards Kev

so, here are the towns that I have managed to locate photos (both past and present)

aaa found.JPG

and here are the towns that I know to have a mine (or to have had one in the past), but which I dont have either location of mine or photo of it.

aaa not found.JPG

Thanks
    There used to be one on the harbour wall in Kippford, near Kircudbright when I was a kid.

I haven't been there for a few years

There was a black painted one in the centre of Kyle of Lochalsh the last time I was up there, but I don't think it was a collecting box.
    Last edited by glevum; 7th May 2014 at 07:12 PM.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    There are a few dotted around the Gunwharf Quays Outlet Centre in Portsmouth, along with large Shells and Torpedos ! This used to be part of the Naval Dockyard.
    There was definitely one at Lulworth Cove in Dorset until a few years ago, it wasn't there last year when I went, check with Tigbrand, it's his neck of the woods and he may have a pic ?
    Tony.
    "Smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast!"

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    thanks guys

Kyle of Lochalsh image - http://www.drookitagain.co.uk/copper...ge.php?pid=575 (not a collecting mine, but still interesting)
    there is also a torpedo here ............ http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/969965

still looking for the others.

Images
    Thanks
    Hi Kev,
    There used to be one in Kingsbridge next to the estuary, gone many years ago, and there is still one i think in Salcombe will get a picture when next there for you. Also you have Dartmouth down twice.
    Best regards Weasel.

$_1.JPG Postcard shows kingsbridge mine as was when i was a child.
    Please use the SEARCH function

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    I remember the one in Hunstanton from when I was a child (about 1970). From what I remember I think it was from WW1. It was slimmer than those that I have seen from WW2. I would have thought that Skegness and Mablethorpe might have had some, bearing in mind that those places are heavily populated in summer. Perhaps also Whitby.
    Last edited by AMMOTECHXT; 9th May 2014 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Add more
    Any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with accordingly by eod personel

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    There IS one at the Yorkshire Air Museum, just outside YORK , but I don't know where it used to be.
    Cheers
    Gary

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 704 Posts
    Saltburn by-the -sea North Yorkshire In front of the pier SaltburnPierAbove.jpg

Scarborough North Yorkshire scarborough mine.jpg

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Not exactly the sea side, but Bristol docks - Broad Quay. (Screen shot from Google Street View.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for all the help so far, this is excellent. It is interesting to see where they are located in the various towns/resorts.
    Google street shot is definately a great help once a rough location is found - though unless you know where they are its a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    For instance, I read that Blackpool had one, but can I find a photo or location of it, despite the thousands of holiday snaps taken there..........will keep looking.

AMMOTECHXT - you are right about Mablethorpe having a mine, unfortunately no longer there, but was up until the mid 1980's, not sure what became of it?
    here is a couple of postcards of the location...not such good shots, you need to look close, but its there.

mablethorpe 1.JPGmablethorpe 2.JPG

help much appreciated
    regards Kev

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast