What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help required : Locations/Photographs Seaside Naval Mines used as collecting boxes

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Hi everyone,

I have a bit of an unusual request.
I'm sure we all remember seeing the bright red painted WW2 naval mines dotted around our seaside resorts and used as a means of raising funds for the Shipwrecked Mariners Society. At one time they seemed to be literally in every seaside town visited, however now their numbers seem to be diminishing to a certain degree. Its a bit like the old red telephone boxes, taken for granted whilst they exist, but then one day they are no longer there.

I have searched on the web for photos of the mines in various locations and have found 'quite a few' photos; I have also found a number mentioned which I cannot find photos of.

So guys, do you know of a mine in existence that I havent got listed? If so let me know about it (and where possible a location within the town).
I am also interested in locations where a mine once was and is no longer - again photos if possible and location of where it used to be.

It will be interesting to see how many are out there........so have a think back to days of youth and dig out the old photo albums !!! a trip down memory lane.

I'm doing this for a bit of fun......its good to see that some mines are now being restored and are being seen for the treasure that they are, and indeed part of our seaside heritage - as well as a way to raise money for a good cause.

all help much appreciated.

kind regards Kev

so, here are the towns that I have managed to locate photos (both past and present)

aaa found.JPG

and here are the towns that I know to have a mine (or to have had one in the past), but which I dont have either location of mine or photo of it.

aaa not found.JPG

There used to be one on the harbour wall in Kippford, near Kircudbright when I was a kid.

I haven't been there for a few years

There was a black painted one in the centre of Kyle of Lochalsh the last time I was up there, but I don't think it was a collecting box.

Last edited:
There are a few dotted around the Gunwharf Quays Outlet Centre in Portsmouth, along with large Shells and Torpedos ! This used to be part of the Naval Dockyard.
There was definitely one at Lulworth Cove in Dorset until a few years ago, it wasn't there last year when I went, check with Tigbrand, it's his neck of the woods and he may have a pic ?
Tony.

Hi Kev,
There used to be one in Kingsbridge next to the estuary, gone many years ago, and there is still one i think in Salcombe will get a picture when next there for you. Also you have Dartmouth down twice.
Best regards Weasel.

$_1.JPG Postcard shows kingsbridge mine as was when i was a child.

I remember the one in Hunstanton from when I was a child (about 1970). From what I remember I think it was from WW1. It was slimmer than those that I have seen from WW2. I would have thought that Skegness and Mablethorpe might have had some, bearing in mind that those places are heavily populated in summer. Perhaps also Whitby.

Last edited:
There IS one at the Yorkshire Air Museum, just outside YORK , but I don't know where it used to be.
Cheers
Gary

Saltburn by-the -sea North Yorkshire In front of the pier SaltburnPierAbove.jpg

Scarborough North Yorkshire scarborough mine.jpg

Not exactly the sea side, but Bristol docks - Broad Quay. (Screen shot from Google Street View.)

Attachments

• Bristol centre.jpg
    Bristol centre.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 71
Thanks guys for all the help so far, this is excellent. It is interesting to see where they are located in the various towns/resorts.
Google street shot is definately a great help once a rough location is found - though unless you know where they are its a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.
For instance, I read that Blackpool had one, but can I find a photo or location of it, despite the thousands of holiday snaps taken there..........will keep looking.

AMMOTECHXT - you are right about Mablethorpe having a mine, unfortunately no longer there, but was up until the mid 1980's, not sure what became of it?
here is a couple of postcards of the location...not such good shots, you need to look close, but its there.

mablethorpe 1.JPGmablethorpe 2.JPG

help much appreciated
regards Kev

I found an image of the Skegness mine after some time looking........not the best image but definately there!!
(bottom right photo)

skegness.jpg

regards Kev

Kev just got back from a quick evening trip to Scarborough with my folks,managed to take a couple of photos of the sea mine on the harbour for you

P1020549.jpg

P1020548.jpg

Theres one near Hunmanby Gap on Sands Lane just south of Filey. Its at the side of the road in front of some cottages. You can see it on google earth and it was still there last summer.
Cheers Mick.

Newcastle, county Down has one. It used to be on the central promenade but now its on the south end of the town close to the harbour. It is visible on google earth.

Fred

Thanks everyone for the help so far. I have quite a number of images I managed to find on the net, unfortunately I cant post most of them as the images belong to other people.....but getting the location is great. Even narrowing it down to the harbour area (as Freds post above) is really helpful - sometimes I know a town has one, but finding it is another matter. Google street maps is really helpful, but even better are photos if any of you have them (thanks to Spotter for taking time to photograph the one at Scarborough)
I know the Filey one very well as I used to go on family holidays there every year - its in pretty good condition and right on the promenade.

Its also good to hear of any that used to be there, but no longer are. Mablethorpe for example had one for many years, then with a little 'development' it simply 'disappeared'? its funny how you dont notice these things for a while. Old postcards from the 60's and 70's are a good way of finding these (again though a location is very very helpful)

There is no rush in finding out these, but perhaps if your on holiday and see one, take a snap and upload it onto the thread.

thanks to all - regards Kev

Hi Kev,
Here is another one for you, just by the Gossport ferry terminal across to Portsmouth,

Gossport Sea Mine 01.jpg

Best regards Weasel.

Last edited:
There was a red painted RNLI Sea mine at Butlins at Foley, it was located just inside the main entrance next to the camp shop.
I enquired about it when it closed down and was told it was sold for scrap for around 30.
I would suppose a few of the other Butlins sites that have closed may have had them.

IMG_20170629_175234888.jpg Saw this one near Liberation Square in St Helier, Jersey last week. There is another near the Elizabeth Castle amphibious truck departure point, unfortunately I didn't get a pic of that one.