What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybe they do talk?

I am sure each of you have heard the statement "if only the piece could talk". In one sense I feel they (relic ordnance pieces) do speak to me, especialy if through oral history I find out where the piece was found. For one reason or another Verdun pieces talk to me better and any piece found anywhere else. Holding, spinning, and yes fondling these pieces seem to come to life. Mentally imaging, what was the bloodiest, and one of the most protracted battles at that point in time. I clearly see in my mind (demented as it may be) the carnage and suffering endured in the meat grinder, possibly pondering Falkenhayn's plan of bleeding France white, and Petain stepping in with his infamous and surgical use of the 75's. Yeah, I think I am in it for the history more than anything else, and honestly prefer a known relic piece over a mint anything...Dano

Yesterday I got this 4inch navy shell casing. It is dented, the mouth folded inwards, the zinc has come out of the copper and some of the stamps (faded away) on the bottom have saved the copper below it so I can read the stamps a bit. It was found in the nets of a fishing vessel in front of the Dutch coast. I like this on better than the nice one I already own.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 42