What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My MKIII Offensive Grenade

ekim199944

I wanted a MKIII Offensive Grenade for my collection, but couldnt not find one for sale, so I decided to make one. I search the web for photos and came up with the one shown here. I scaled it up by taking measurement of the fuse, which I had. The I had a hard time finding a paper tube of the right diameter. Finally found one, again of the web, which had end caps on it. This worked to my advantage. I also had a WWII smoke grenade, to use for the top, where the fuse screws in.

Sorry I didnt take pictures of the process.

I started with the paper tube with end caps, as shown in the photo. I trimmed the sides of the caps to the right crimp length, on the sides. I cut circles, a little smaller than the diameter of the tube, to give me an edge to turndown in side, to simulate the crimp edge again. I than used plenty of super glue on them which made them hard enough to sand. I used the top and bottom of a WWII smoke grenade for the top and bottom on the grenade. Used a WWII grenade fuse. I then cut the tube in half, so that the paper spirals did not line up when put back together, as show in the photo of real grenade. I used a large black Sharpie pen to color the paper, giving that dull black look. I painted the top and bottom with a gloss black paint to simulate the crimped tin. I then made up a label and glued it on, after which I used orange shellac over it too seal it, again as shown in the photo of the real grenade. I forgot to mention I did add weight to give it the proper feel. I forget now but I did lookup the proper amount of weight. I think it turned out pretty good.

Old New MKIII.jpg
Photo 7.jpgMY GRENADE 3.jpgMY GRENADE 2.jpg
Paper tube.jpg

Pretty neat job you did there,and very realistic,very clever way you converted the tube to the end result,well done,
Don,