What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW I Mine

Chris

Ordnance approved
Hi Guys,

Has anybody information about the British Naval WW I mine Mk I to Mk III
I have heard that the Mk was was first build in 1906 and the Mk III was produced around 1915.

We probaly found one of this buckers for the Dutch coast.

Regards,

Chris

Is this something you want.
Groet Michel
zo ja willen we graag foto's zien.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
You will note that the actual firing mechanism was considered so secret that drawings of same were done on thin paper, held in a pocket at the back of the volumes. Instructions were issued that the captain of a vessel was to destroy these after having viewed them. Consequently all surviving volumes that I have seen at the old Admiralty Library had empty pockets! The actual mechanism was a large inertia wheel, a modification of an Elia design, and unfortunately proved highly susceptible to prematures occasioned by rough seas. It was a disaster! The only intact mine of this class that I have viewed was at the former world-class munitions museum at Friedrichshafen, Copenhagen, where they had the top removed to display the firing mechanism. Amongst many other unique items, they also had a British mine, filled with poison gas, and made of glass!There doesn't appear to be any mention of this in British archives.
They had French, German & Russian mines of all ages, all, because of the low salinity of the Baltic, in perfect working condition. I am currently trying to ascertain what has happened to the massive collection of Mines, Torpedoes, Rockets, Shells and everything else, all beautifully presented, but which appears to have vanished without trace, when the most enthusiastic curator retired. (Just prior to my visit, he had held an open day, with Sauter-Harle mines connected to the mains water supply to show how the pistols operated. There was one unique item in perfect condition which I cannot disclose!
Martin.

Hey Chris,

Sorry for the late response as I told you in my pm.
As Yodamaster told, I have quite some info on mines and other underwater ordnance.
In the link Yodamaster sent you, you can see that there are more than 1 MkI and MkII... depending on the use...
I recon it could be a H MkI or H MkII, as they are found commonly in our waters... More information can be found in the TM series Q-3-2-... and in The Treatise on Ammunition 1915 (you can find this one on the web).
Attached I put some pictures!

Whenever you need some info, just contact me.

Greetz,

Stef

H2_Mk_II_(5d).jpgH2_Mk_II_(1).jpgMk_II_(1).jpgMK_II_EOD_(1).jpg