What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery 25mm

SG500

Premium Member
I've never managed to get a positive ID for this one.

25mm calibre
11mm wide driving band
26.45mm diameter measured over the driving band
127.82mm length
36.45mm distance from the rear of the driving band to the rear of the projectile

There looks to be the remains of propellant residue to the rear of the band. No stamping at all on the projectile.

I'm wondering if its from a combustible caseless round

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_7363.jpg
    IMG_7363.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_7364.jpg
    IMG_7364.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Just an update on this one. I got this projectile in a cut down 20 x 139 case, it now measures 25 x 95.
I didn't post the photo of the case earlier as I had assumed someone had made it up.
Having send photos to a very well respected collector he has a similar one and a note "prob. test vehicle for caseless".
So.......this may answer the question I never asked, is the 25 x 95 case that came with the projectile correct........it seems it probably is.
But the question still remains, what does the caseless round look like. Perhaps bdgreen is right or perhaps its something else.
Anyone else got any ideas?
Dave.

IMG_7379.jpgIMG_7380.jpgIMG_7381.jpgIMG_7382.jpg

The F-15 Eagle was supposed to have a caseless 25mm, so could it be a prototype or test round for that?

I doubt it, as the GAU-7/A round had a very different projectile (see below).

23-25%20exp.jpg

23x146SR (US Cal. .90 inch T1 experimental), 23x139RB (US Cal. .90 inch T2 experimental), 23x139RB (US Cal. .90 inch T3 & T4 experimental), 23x122 (HS.406/407: French aircraft gun 1940),24x138B German WW2 (replica), 27x70B (for 1950s large-calibre Vulcan M61 variant), 25x116B (Oerlikon 251/25 RK aircraft gun),26x130 (Colt 1960s AFV gun), 25x152 case and projectile (from US GAU-7 cannon 1960s - contained within combustible case),25x145 (US plastic-cased)

Hi Dave
That's given me a boost, its the drive band and tail length that made me curios in the beginning, its another mystery to solve (there's plenty of time now

Hi Dave, that's given me a boost and yet another mystery to try and solve, it was the drive band and tail that grabbed my attention when I bought it, the paint is original but not 100% sure on the black tip, its obviously a tp projectile (no need for a black tip)
The project goes on
Stay safe
Mick

Hello, I have this one with original paint and French manufacture it seems the same, I do not know the use and model.

IMG_6806.jpgIMG_6805.jpg

Last edited:
This is just a guess, but I read somewhere that the French did some experimenting with a caseless 25 mm. The long "tail" of this projectile could be useful to mould solid propellant around....?

hasag,

I took the liberty of posting your 25mm projectile on the IAA Forum as part of a discussion there concerning an unknown 25mm projectile. The result is you projectile was identified as being for a French experimental caseless cartridge:

"This 25 mm projectile was made at Bourges for a caseless round project (25x102) developed in France by SNPE (Société Nationale des Poudres et Explosifs).

Regards,

Fede"

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/mystery-25mm-cartridge/37918/9

Brian