What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning shell fuse threads....

starshell

Premium Member
Hi all,
Thought maybe this nugget of info might help others out there when it comes to cleaning rusty crud filled threads...

Please note, this procedure applies to steel/iron threads only. This may be too harsh for brass adaptors, etc.

I had a cracking condition 15cm long German HE, (inert, as is all my stuff!) but it was let down by the threads in the ogive. Spent hours with a craft knife, mini wire brush, etc scraping the threads trying to tidy them up to get a pristine fuse inserted, but to no avail. The muck inside was like granite.

Then rather nervously I thought I'd get the Dremel onto it. Within 5 mins the fuse was in, without any grinding damage or loss to the threads. I used the thin Black 'Cutting' discs (marked 'reinforced'). They were not so savage that the tool cut into the threads, but excellent enough to clear out all the crud and leave the threads clean and shiny.
Use the Dremel on a relatively slow RPM and, holding the Dremel vertical to the shell you'll find the spin of the disc almost follows the thread by itself. All you have to do is gently move the tool in a circular motion following the threads down (or up) as the disc winds its way deeper into the thread hole. Apply light pressure to the disc against the thread, the disc will do the work for you.
You won't need to lubricate the threads as you go, although a wipe down to clear dust and a film of WD40 after does the trick.

Never will I turn away a shell with poorly threads again!...

Cheers!