What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handgrenade Lighters

Bellifortis

I normally am not interested in replicas, but when I see a handgrenade lighter I most often buy it. All the ones I bought in the decades past were rubbish and broke down after only short use. During my last holiday I found 9 new ones. I like the precise labeling, even of the fuzes. This is new. The 9 in the front are the ones I just bought, the 3 in the back are models from about 10 years ago and all broken.
Greetings,
Bellifortis.Handgrenade-Lighter 001.jpg

Hallo Pajarito,
as to your wish, here now single fotos of each. The one labled M26A2 you already got good fotos of.
regards,
Bellifortis.

Attachments

• Handgrenade Lighter 001.jpg
    Handgrenade Lighter 001.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Handgrenade Lighter 003.jpg
    Handgrenade Lighter 003.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Handgrenade Lighter 004.jpg
    Handgrenade Lighter 004.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 17
  • Handgrenade Lighter 005.jpg
    Handgrenade Lighter 005.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Handgrenade Lighter 006.jpg
    Handgrenade Lighter 006.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Handgrenade Lighter 007.jpg
    Handgrenade Lighter 007.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Handgrenade Lighter 008.jpg
    Handgrenade Lighter 008.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Handgrenade Lighter 009.jpg
    Handgrenade Lighter 009.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Handgrenade Lighter 010.jpg
    Handgrenade Lighter 010.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 10
Great photos, I really like the V40.

I known its not a grenade but here's some photos of the 20mm Vulcan round I have that is a lighter, its so well made that its hard to work out its a lighter at all until you try unscrewing it.

Dave.

IMG_7393.jpgIMG_7395.jpgIMG_7391.jpgIMG_7392.jpg

Last edited:
I've a few "bullet" ones as well as this one:

You've some nice lighters there :cool:

Attachments

• shell 001 (800x600).jpg
    shell 001 (800x600).jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 16
I pick up a piece now and then, it gets tossed on the BS shelf. The shotshell and cartridge are lighters also.

DSCN5552.jpg

I have a question that irks me for some time. This is not the right category, but, because it concerns lighters, I'll post it here. One of my main roads of interest is the historical development of prime ignition. Since the 1950's the piezoelectric effect is a mainstay of PIBD-fuzes. In the beginning, very precisely cut along the crystal growth plane, quartz pieces from high quality, clean crystals were used. These are quite expensive. In the last 20 years piezo gas lighters appeared on the market for as low a price as 30 cents. How is this possible ? A search in Wikipedia tells us that sintered Leadzirconate is the material used, that is so cheap. Most of these lighters don't even last for a second filling of gas. You still can see the electric spark, but no ignition. One lighter lasted for more than 10 years. Does anybody here know the reason why the Leadzirconate element stops producing a spark that is energetic enough to light the gas in so many lighters ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.

A GRENADER lighter that i have, you used to see these about but i haven't seen one in a while.

Andy:)

Attachments

• DSC_3729~2.jpg
    DSC_3729~2.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_3723~2.jpg
    DSC_3723~2.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_3725.jpg
    DSC_3725.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 14
Wow! These have really come along. I had a few about 20 years ago but they were nothing like these! I love that M85