What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.62 x 54 marked M+FA QVC what is it?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
hi, can anyone tell me what this thing is please? Its 7.62 x 54, rimless, has a red lacquered head and headstamped M+FA QVC.

many thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 100_4594.jpg
    100_4594.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_4595.jpg
    100_4595.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 44
Dave, it looks like a 7.5mm Swiss Schmidt-Rubin. Are you sure it is 7.62mm? The rim shape and thickness are very characteristic of that round, as it the red lacquer on the head (which I think indicates tracer). MF+A I think is Altdorf arsenal. Regards, Roger.

sorry, you're right Roger, it is 7.5mm! And I have no doubt you're right about the rest of it too. Many thanks. Is it a military round, being tracer I guess it must be, but don't the Swiss date their ammo? Dave

ah! very good, I never thought of that, I knew I should have paid more attention to my latin at school. why can't they speak English like the rest of us?! Many thanks Jimiles, Dave.

7.5mm L'Spur Patrone 11 and L'Spur Patrone 11/36 had the heads lacquered red but not a Swiss military headstamp that I recognise Dave

Cheers
Tony

M+FA = Eidgenssische Munitionsfabrik, Altdorf, Switzerland.

A brief discussion about and a listing of the 3 letter date codes can be found here: http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11974&p=85352

According to the ECRA Swiss Ammunition Group web site this is a 7.5 x 55mm match cartridge: http://www.ch-munition.ch/matchmun/mfrench/fmframe.htm and see the chapter entitled "Cartouches de match "Altdorfer"".

There they show a picture of match cartridge case heads (with M+FA headstamps with date codes), one with green lacquer, one with red lacquer and one without lacquer. I don't know if color coding the cartridge case head has significance other than identifying these as match cartridges or the date range for such color coding.

Brian

Last edited:
excellent bdgreen, I think we have it all now. Many thanks to you all for your contributions, Dave