What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 37mm arrowhead projectile in section

SG500

Premium Member
I thought this one may interest some of you.

I guess the shredded paper is some sort of shock absorber.

Dave.

IMG_7397.jpgIMG_7396.jpgIMG_7398.jpg

Good lord, I've never noticed "shredded paper" in that drawing before...with the kind of energies were talking about can it really DO anything.
Are there any other projectile that use the same construction eg 5cm

Richard

Dave I know you have a great knowledge in this topic but I would be concerned about using that section diagram as a reference source. The American manual is know to have many errors.
The Ringbcher has both the Ausfhrung A and B projectiles but no indication of a paper filler.

I also have a projectile with part of the alloy tip missing and it is certainly not paper that is in the cavity. It is more like bakelite.

The 3.7cm Pzgr40 Alloy caps also have two holes near the base where you can see the bakelite type material and I have included a sectioned projectile picture from DJH's collection.

PC

Attachments

• 3,7cm PAK Pzgr.40 b.jpg
    3,7cm PAK Pzgr.40 b.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 51
Dave I know you have a great knowledge in this topic but I would be concerned about using that section diagram as a reference source. The American manual is know to have many errors.
The Ringbcher has both the Ausfhrung A and B projectiles but no indication of a paper filler.

I also have a projectile with part of the alloy tip missing and it is certainly not paper that is in the cavity. It is more like bakelite.

The 3.7cm Pzgr40 Alloy caps also have two holes near the base where you can see the bakelite type material and I have included a sectioned projectile picture from DJH's collection.

PC

Hi and thanks for the photo. and as for "great knowledge".........just a learner :)
I think there are several versions. I have several which I got from different sources with shredded paper under the cap.
I sectioned a 5cm arrowhead several years ago and found the bakelite plastic cap was mixed or made up of shredded paper material immediately under the thin steel cap to it.
I've attached a line drawing showing the alloy capped 5cm version with "papierfullung" clearly marked on it, I don't have similar for the 3.7cm apart from the one shown already but assume it to be correct.
Has anyone else got any photos they can post of these rounds please?
Thanks.
Dave.

IMG_7400.jpg

Last edited:
Some science as to the use of lightweight packing such as paper and fibre in small calibre hollow cap projectiles... If the ballistic cap is not vented in any way, then there is a sealed airspace which if not removed will heat up significantly on firing or while in the chamber of a hot barrel waiting to fire. This trapped heated air could cause the cap to pop or distort which would upset the ballistics of the launched bullet. To significantly reduce the amount of air to the point where heat expansion will not cause any problems, packing is used, but must be light enough not to affect the centre of gravity of the bullet and therefore the ballistics.

Tom.