What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.75in M61 practice warhead

Spaceinvader

Hello!
Thanks to SHAKY from the site, I have a practice M61 2.75in warhead. It's got one hell of a paintjob, so I'm gonna clean it up and restore it.So what I'm after is the lettering/numbering on the warhead. Also what is the specific color of blue for practice munitions? Thanks!
Rhys

Rhys

Assuming your 2.75in. warhead is for a rocket, I offer up the following. This particular version is an "inert loaded" one, which may or may not be an option for coloring your example.
The only color reference I could find is: Enamel, Blue. No. 35109, (81348), TT-E-516 None of my books showed the markings for practice or inert rounds.
I'm sure those numbers cross reference to a color chart somewhere.
The markings on my example are approx. 6mm tall. And white. The blue band is approx. 4cm wide.

IMG_2818 (800x189).jpg IMG_2820 (787x800).jpg IMG_2828 (633x800).jpg

There are no markings on the fuze.

There are on this one, though:
IMG_2821.jpg IMG_2825 (800x731).jpg IMG_2826 (800x699).jpg

Yes for a rocket. Thanks for the color, still no luck with the markings. For some reason a little difficult to find! Also nice warhead/fuze! :)

Alright, not sure if this is correct, but I found the same fuze, problem being it was restored so I dont know if its correct but it seems right "WARHEAD 2.75INCH, PRAC M61". Does that seem correct?

Man the pics are beautiful

I need one now of those and BTW gee thanks now I have to find one

super cool!

I saw a picture of the one you have with the pointed dummy fuze on it. I will try again to find it. Yours is a inert plaster fill also but don't know it's actual designation. I think the other practice (M61 ?) is like the one Slick shows with the more rounded fuze. The one I have here is blue instead of green like Slicks example and, from what I can make out says "2.75 INCH PRACTICE WARHEAD" instead of "INERT LOADED WARHEAD". The one I have here may have had a low explosive as a spotting charge for practice and probably been fitted with a live fuze similar in shape to Slicks which I thnk is the same shape of fuze on H.E. warheads ?
SHAKY

Here's the two. Cannot figure where I saw the image of the pointed fuzed practice.

Attachments

• FFAR away.jpg
    FFAR away.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 13
thanks SHAKY, does anyone know where I can get some rub on decals, 1/2 inch, white? I have looked everywhere and cant find one that is either in the right size, or the right kind of font.