What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 Ammunition 1942

jayteepee_1999

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I have a 1942 marked .303 inch round from an aircraft and have identifed the other marking of K2. However, the is a W 1 which I am not sure of, can anyone help???

No,no tracer, as Cornman says it is AP,tracer would be G then what ever mark it was ie GII,there was no AP-T in .303" for British service use,also the full year date of 1942 does not necessarily indicate that this round was intended for aircraft use,the practice of marking aircraft grade .303" with a full year date was dropped in 1939 as all .303" ammunition was then made to the same standard.

Cheers
Tony

No,no tracer, as Cornman says it is AP,tracer would be G then what ever mark it was ie GII,there was no AP-T in .303" for British service use,also the full year date of 1942 does not necessarily indicate that this round was intended for aircraft use,the practice of marking aircraft grade .303" with a full year date was dropped in 1939 as all .303" ammunition was then made to the same standard.

Cheers
Tony

Hi tony, aircraft ammo from a crashed Halifax I am at. This ammo marked with full year 1942, K2 and W1. Thanks for the info

JP

Sorry for digging up, but have question about this round.

Could anyone show me a picture of the bullet head please? I happen to have exactly same case, but as I received it in bag with other rounds, I'm unsure if head is original. Thanks in advance.

Hi Major,
not too sure what you are asking here,probably because of the common mistake of calling the projectile or bullet a 'head' and possibly the whole thing a bullet!....the 'head' is the 'base' of the bullet,hence the markings are called the 'headstamp',the whole thing is a 'round'.....if your headstamp is marked WI then the case is a AP(Armour Piercing)...the easiest way to tell if the bullet/projectile is also a AP is to try a magnet on it,it will have a VERY STRONG magnetic attraction if it is,there will be a weak attraction on normal(ball) bullets/projectiles due to the jacket being steel CN (cupro nickel) or GM (gilded metal) plated ....unless of course the steel AP core has been removed to keep it legal! Jacketed AP bullets/projectiles without a drive band are section 5 firearms act(yes even just the bullet/projectile on its own)

All the best
Tony

You got me here Tony - I meant the bullet :).

My case is exactly the same as Jay's here - with date, W1 and K2 markings. Regarding the bullet itself - that's what confused me, it looks like hollow point made of lead. I will upload picture soon, you'll see.

Cheers
Tom

Here you go Tom, this is a Mk 1 Armour Piercing round, albeit from a different manufacturer. The bullet is definitely not a hollow-point neither is it made of lead.

Jim

Attachments

• Great Britain 080_zpsxx6ur2ra.jpg
    Great Britain 080_zpsxx6ur2ra.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim. So it looks like just the case might be original then, or I tried to match one loose bullet that was in the package with empty case :). Size-wise it does match, maybe that's why I got confused.

My bullet looks like these
303ball_mk4b.jpg

The cartridges you have pictured appear to be either Mk IV or Mk V Ball rounds. You could confirm this by weighing the bullet - it should weigh about 215 grains. These 'hollow-point' rounds entered British service in 1898 but were withdrawn again in 1904 as they were considered to be in contravention of the St.Petersburg Declaration and the Hague Convention. The correct case for this type of bullet will have either 'IV' or 'V' in the headstamp depending which mark it is.
Jim

Thank you for very informative post mate! That would explain why my bullet's fit is a little loose I guess?

I will be getting powder scale soon, so will be able to weight it.

The cartridges you have pictured appear to be either Mk IV or Mk V Ball rounds. You could confirm this by weighing the bullet - it should weigh about 215 grains. These 'hollow-point' rounds entered British service in 1898 but were withdrawn again in 1904 as they were considered to be in contravention of the St.Petersburg Declaration and the Hague Convention. The correct case for this type of bullet will have either 'IV' or 'V' in the headstamp depending which mark it is.
Jim

.....or a MkIII :tinysmile_cry_t4:

No, not a Mk.III. That has a distinct rim around the hole in the nose, where the edge of the inserted CN cup was turned down onto the bullet.

Roger.