What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mine detector 1945 6A

42willysmb

Hi All,
I have been a member for a while but I can normally find the info I am looking for without posting, but this one has me stumped.
I picked it up from a car-boot sale on Sunday.The case is a Z.A. 28998 and it has 'Mine Detector 6A' marked on it. I have done some searching but I can find no pictures of the detector and very few references. I have seen it referenced for combined operations in NW Europe but only on another forum and no information to back it up. The box is quite small for a mine detector case. All the equipment is missing but it still has 2 spare valves in it.
Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger
mine detector 6a copy.jpgmine detector 6aa .jpgmine detector 6ab .jpg

It does/did exist as I found some instructions to a 6A in the National Archives. Unfortunately they have not been scanned in yet so it was impossible to have a look (and I don't actually have the detector anyway) discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C1806233 I may make a request .
Also it a reference here in this 1965 document. http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/3239_VAOS_ Z5_ 1965.pdf and it cross referenced withe the box that I have.
Imperial war museum http://m.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30112306
Google books http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Detector_Mine.html?id=T3tYHQAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Attachments

• mine detector 6a ref.jpg
    mine detector 6a ref.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The authenticity of 'DET MINE NO 6A' stenciling is open to question.

TimG

Okay your sounding a bit sceptical. Here are some more pictures showing it in more detail and alongside a 4A that I bought about 3 years ago. The 4A box is stamped 1945 as is the bag.

The ZA number is sprayed over stencil but the "Mine Detector 6A" is stencilled with a brush.

The padding in the 6A box is similar to that you find on the crown of ww2 helmets.

I bought it from a guy who was clearing out his shed and it came with a Bren Gun magazine box.

I will be at Duxford IWM on Sunday if anybody would like to see it in the flesh but it is not for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_7201.jpg
    IMG_7201.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7202.jpg
    IMG_7202.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7203.jpg
    IMG_7203.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7204.jpg
    IMG_7204.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7205.jpg
    IMG_7205.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7206.jpg
    IMG_7206.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7207.jpg
    IMG_7207.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7208.jpg
    IMG_7208.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7209.jpg
    IMG_7209.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7210.jpg
    IMG_7210.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7211.jpg
    IMG_7211.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 36
Hello, I just acquired a 6a complete kit, I will post pictures when it arrives. I too have a 4a that I bought a few years ago that was a NOS unit in mint condition.
Fred KG7AAL

Hello, I just recieved a 6A kit complete and under the overpaint was the same stencil as the other posters box, same font ect so I would think it is correct.
Fred KG7AAL

Help needed
The No 6A I have has a plate on it with the following Information on it

Detectors,Mine NO 6A
ZA 28486
serial no 498
P.S.E.I. LTD
Can anybody shed any light on what I have It fits into the box the small box in the photo above in this post.

Saw an electric box with cable, plug adjustment attachment but no head today marked No5a polish mine detector on original data plate and even had the 1943 bag that it came with it. Anyone?