What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MkI 3 Stokes HE Markings

peregrinvs

Hi,

Could someone point me at an illustration of the original markings on a MkI 3 Stokes HE bomb? Ive found some pictures of restored examples with the following:

3 MOR
MkI

But would like to confirm this is correct before I attempt to stencil. Also; what was the height of the lettering? Again, looking at pictures of restored examples suggests inch.

Thanks,
Mark

This would be typical for WW1. Lettering for Mortar bombs was nominally half-inch.

3inStokesMarking.jpg

Thank you. Spot on information. :)

Nice to know I've got my colours and band widths correct...
Stokes repainted 1.jpgStokes repainted 2.jpgStokes repainted 3.jpg

It originally looked like this in July 2011...

Stokes Mortar uncleaned 1.jpgStokes Mortar uncleaned 2.jpgStokes Mortar uncleaned 3.jpg

Although there's a bit of fakery involved in the top pictures as the pistol is too rotted to attach to the top plate without the aid of plastic and cardboard spacers inside and there are no springs inside as the lever is too rotted to support their pressure. Hopefully I'll find a better one at some point.

Cheers,
Mark

here is mine i done a while ago and one i sectioned, i think they were stenciled 3in ST HOW Mk
Andy

Attachments

• section stokes.jpg
    section stokes.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Stokes_diagram.jpg
    Stokes_diagram.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 31
Having found a few pictures of bombs with original paint (such as the above) I assumed 'dirty white' varied in practice between pale grey and sandy yellow. I therefore made my own homebrew version blending these two colours and I'm happy with the result.

Hello Bonnex,

When and why these bombs were painted yellow ?

Regards

3" mortar bomb with original yellow paint from the Somme :

View attachment 93499
Dear Minenaz16,

Yellow Ochre was used on other munitions but I have not seen a 3-inch Stokes painted in this way. I will see if I can find any references that might help answer the question. I am inclined to agree with Andysarmoury.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks guys.

This bomb was found with 20 other in the ground on a WW1 battlefield, so not repainted by a collector and not a practice bomb for sure (first red ring for loaded, second red ring for ammonal).
The color is like a dirty yellow (sand). The 20 others had also remains of this paint.
It's interesting to note that the bomb was quickly painted with a brush, maybe by a young woman in a British factory.

Regards

Finished...
IMG_3212.JPGIMG_3211.JPGIMG_3210.JPG
I used an 'off the shelf' plastic stencil and a thin nib pencil to mark out the characters and then used a thin nib permanent marker to colour them in. I used emulsion paint for the body colour, so it is porous and takes the ink. My first ever attempt at stencilling a projectile and - other than the characters being a little oversized - I'm fairly pleased with it.

PS. I dedicate the filling date to the historian Martin Middlebrook... ;)

hi
We found generally grey blue or light white yellow on body 3in bomb, sometimes grey green, in france area ww1 (not a surprise for me)
The colors are not changed due to oxydation...
Generaly painted with brush