What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bombs, ML, Mortar 3-inch (Stokes) - Markings

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Given the recent interest in markings for Stokes 3-inch Mortar Bombs I thought these plates from the 1926 edition of Regulations for Army Ordnance Services might be worth publishing here.

Image 0067.jpgImage 0066.jpgImage 0065.jpgImage 0064.jpgImage 0051.jpgImage 0068.jpg

Norman,

Is there a definition, or recipe even, for "dirty white" in any of the references?

Tom.

Norman,

Is there a definition, or recipe even, for "dirty white" in any of the references?

Tom.

Tom, I have not seen one. For most of WW1 the painting (including the composition of the paint) was usually included in the Specification for the munition but I do not have any specs for Stokes Bombs.

Thanks, Norman. As with the grenades specs I was anticipating that those for the Stokes would list the paint ingredients; and I was hoping you might have those specs...

Tom.

Hi,I have a 3inch stokes bomb that has a bit of original paint whisk is a dirty yellow or cream. I have been told that this colour was used by the yanks in WW1. Does anyone have any info on this colour or markings that should be on it? One more thing,should I restore or leave as is.?