What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

28Lb Practice Bomb

celica

Picked this up at yesterday. 2lLb No. 3 Mk1 Practice Bomb.

DSC_0038.jpgDSC_0039.jpg

Can anyone tell me anymore about it. As you can see there's not many markings on it.

thanks nathan

Hi Celica

The 28 lb Practice bomb is no longer in service with the RAF (it was replaced by the very similar 14 kg type). The one in your photo has wrongly been painted white; the proper colour is shown in the parts where the white paint has rubbed off - it should be Saxe Blue (BS381C Tint No 113). The markings are also painted on - from memory they are in BS 381C Chocolate Brown (I'm checking on that). The markings show the Type of bomb (No 3 Mk. 1), and the Maker, Date and Lot of the cartridge. There is also a brown hazard band around the centre of the body. The example in the photo was manufactured by Portsmouth Aviation Ltd, who still manufactures practice bombs for the RAF and other customers. The bomb is in two halves; a solid machined nose and a cast Aluminium tail unit containing a special to type signal cartridge which gives off a smoke puff and flash on impact. A striker runs down the centre of the nose section. There should be a Bakelite cone over the nose - this one is missing - to protect the striker head. This one has no suspension lug (other types of 28 lb PB have a folding lug); the bomb is gripped in the jaws of the Ejector Release Unit which open and the bomb is then pushed away from the carrier.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

eodda

Cheers eodda, that's great. I knew the colour was wrong so i've already given it a coat of primer just waiting for the blue. Didn't know about the brown lettering and band though i'll have to get some. I thought there was something missing off the nose.

Thanks Nathan

If the markings or nose band were brown, it would indicate,on a 'live' round, that it contained a low explosive(usually a spotting charge).
It almost looks like you could strip the white paint off,you'll probably find the markings under it and depending what you used as a stripper it might give a better result than just repainting it.

looks like the centre section is missing the part with the arming gubbings

28lb bomb

These are the parts that are missing form your bomb
Regards
Tom

Attachments

• 100_3771.jpg
    100_3771.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_3773.jpg
    100_3773.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_3772.jpg
    100_3772.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 44
So that's what the rest looks like. Does the orange section fit inside the tail section then? Any chance you have a spare?
Cheers Nathan

Earlier versions had a gold/yellow band as the tail had a HE fill, later more pyrotechnic thus a low explosive brown band.

Hi Celica

The 28 lb Practice bomb is no longer in service with the RAF (it was replaced by the very similar 14 kg type). The one in your photo has wrongly been painted white; the proper colour is shown in the parts where the white paint has rubbed off - it should be Saxe Blue (BS381C Tint No 113). The markings are also painted on - from memory they are in BS 381C Chocolate Brown (I'm checking on that). The markings show the Type of bomb (No 3 Mk. 1), and the Maker, Date and Lot of the cartridge. There is also a brown hazard band around the centre of the body. The example in the photo was manufactured by Portsmouth Aviation Ltd, who still manufactures practice bombs for the RAF and other customers. The bomb is in two halves; a solid machined nose and a cast Aluminium tail unit containing a special to type signal cartridge which gives off a smoke puff and flash on impact. A striker runs down the centre of the nose section. There should be a Bakelite cone over the nose - this one is missing - to protect the striker head. This one has no suspension lug (other types of 28 lb PB have a folding lug); the bomb is gripped in the jaws of the Ejector Release Unit which open and the bomb is then pushed away from the carrier.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

eodda