What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three Lancs all together at same event.

Hmmmmm. Lot of money just to look at an airplane (or 3). What bombs will they be carrying?

I believe the tickets for the recently advertised Tiger tank one were much more expensive..........................

Although "planes" aren't my "cup of tea" so to speak, the 3 x LANCs would be an amazing sight - reminded me of a "rippa yarn" from years ago, which highlights being in the right place at the right time opportunity.................

I was visiting a well known Collector in Phoenix, who invited me to an Airshow that same afternoon (wasn't even aware that there was an airshow on)- cutting a long story short, it appears that in the US, the norm is to fly to airshows, not drive! So 4 of us flew down in his aquaintance's Cessna to the airshow - the main attraction being a superb B17 bomber, one of only six still flying................

To my surprise, the Collector who I was visiting managed to get me on a 20 mins "joyride" on the B17 beast (seems he was again very well known in the airshow circle). I guess the pics tells the rest of the story........

Cheers
Drew

BTW - 6 months after this event, the Collector sent me a news article relating to the Cessna that we flew down and back from the airshow in - went missing in bad weather - wreckage recovered 6 mths later, sadly no survivors. *** Life is very precise - enjoy it while you have the opportunity ***

Attachments

• B17_0001.jpg
    B17_0001.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 51
  • B17_0002.jpg
    B17_0002.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 48
  • B17a_0001.jpg
    B17a_0001.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 45
  • B17a_0002.jpg
    B17a_0002.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 45
  • B17b.jpg
    B17b.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 41
Drew,

To get to fly in a USAAF WW2 "Flying Fortress" (B-17) is a unique and rare opportunity; you are very lucky!!! Thanks for posting the pictures.

It was called the "Fly Fortress" because it carried so many defensive machine guns; the final version, B-17G, had 13 machineguns on top, the bottom, sides, the tail and in the nose.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm. Lot of money just to look at an airplane (or 3). What bombs will they be carrying?

Jeff there are a few bombs within the museum itself including an upkeep (though I believe all the 'original' ones in existance are actually the practice concrete filled version)

I thought the ticket price was very reasonable actually, considering the 'one off' this is. The Canadian Lancaster is making a brief visit to the UK to fly alongside the Battle of Britain memorial flight Lanc. But with a third Lancaster taxi-ing whilst the other two fly over on an original WW2 Lancaster airbase has got to be classed as 'once in a lifetime'. The money raised all goes to the fund to get 'Just Jane' flying again - a worthwhile cause.

The sound of 12 merlin engines all at once will be worth the admission price. The place itself is a museum so lots to look at and other things going off too........ 20 for a day out, I dont think thats too bad at all, and considering the tickets appear to have sold out within 48hours - there are around 5,000 other people of the same opinion.

Maybe we compare prices to a gallon of petrol, so for us, here in the UK, 20 is ok, the price of getting there, well thats another matter - LOL!!

Last edited:
I'm just in it for the ordnance, I don't care if they drop them off a 707. But if that's your thing.....

Ok, I understand, not everyones taste is the same, but living in Lincolnshire, I cant help but look skyward at the sound of a Merlin engine - I'm sure I'm not alone.

btw, here is a photograph of an original upkeep at the Museum (photograph taken from the website link on first page), thought it may be of interest.

bb2.JPG

regards Kev

Yesterday, East Kirkby held their annual air show, its small but a good day out. Whilst there I took some pics of some of the ordnance pieces, snap shots really but a few nice items on display. Some behind glass which I couldnt get good photos of, however here are some of the larger pieces.
I overheard someone mention that an additional date had been made available to give more people the opportunity to see the three lancs together. This is on Sunday the 7th Sept. A quick look on their website and this too has sold out already, there was already a long waiting list for cancellations I believe.

Anyhow back to ordnance pics.........and just one of Just Jane, the resident lanc.

regards Kev

P8020684.jpgP8020685.jpgP8020687.jpgP8020689.jpgP8020690.jpgP8020691.jpgP8020692.jpg

You can tell the difference between a practice upkeep and a HE upkeep by the rivets. Around the outside of the cylinder they are flush on the HE and snap head (proud) on the practice .

You can tell the difference between a practice upkeep and a HE upkeep by the rivets. Around the outside of the cylinder they are flush on the HE and snap head (proud) on the practice .

Very interesting observation, and good point.
I did read somewhere that all the surviving examples of the upkeep are the practice variety. This one was originally filled with concrete (maybe still is??)
regards Kev

Today I attended a local event, a memorial dedication ceremony at a former RAF airfield, Strubby. It was the closest RAF base to Occupied Europe and Lancasters flew missions from here from late 1944. The day was very well attended and finished with a flypast by the infamous Red Arrows, but perhaps the highlight of the day was seeing the two Lancasters in the air together..........amazing sight if you get a chance to see these- take it. There was no charge for the event, but donations for the cost of the memorial.

here are a few 'snapshots' I took......

regards Kev

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Kev,

Do you know where they went after Strubby today?

I thought I saw them near Cleethorpes this afternoon.

Regards,

Will.

Kev,

Do you know where they went after Strubby today?

I thought I saw them near Cleethorpes this afternoon.

Regards,

Will.

Hi Will, yes they headed north, to North Thoresby 1940's event I believe, from there I dont know; but I do know the schedule had changed as originally they were due over Strubby at around 4pm ( after North Thoresby, not before). It was 2:15 pm when they flew over Strubby airfield.

regards Kev

Hi Kev,

That would fit in with what I saw, so it must have been them.

My son was in Lee on Solent today and saw them as well, so they are getting around the country.

Regards,

Will.

not looking too good for the 3 Lancs at East Kirkby on Tuesday 2nd as Vera suffers engine trouble once again, will be keeping fingers crossed they can pull all the stops out to get her fixed by then.......all in the hands of mechanics, weather and goodness knows what else, me and no doubt 5,000 others holding their breath right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28981916

regards Kev

Well as everyone is probably aware as hard as the team worked to fit the new engine unfortunately time ran out for the East Kirkby 3 Lancaster event on Tuesday and so there was no flypast. BBMF also cancelled flying, and suffered some rather rude comments for doing so. In actual fact 'Thumper' the BBMF Lancaster has only 100 airframe flying hours per year, the decision was made to keep flying time in hand for a re-scheduled event - so instead of criticism, they would be better applauded - I will keep fingers crossed all works out.

One problem faced by the mechanics working on Vera, was the fitting of a Rolls Royce merlin as opposed to the Packard Merlins that are in place, but after tremendous effort, in less than ideal circumstances, it has been done and its great to know that Vera is back up and flying once more. The ground event at East Kirkby went ahead as planned and despite no fly past many people turned up. I have to say there was a great atmosphere and well done to everyone involved at the Heritage Centre, the BBMF and on the Canadian side, everyone wanted this to happen, but safety first and no cutting of corners, these things are just too valuable for that.

I hope that the people attending Sundays 3 Lancaster event are more successful, you are in for a treat. I can only sit back and keep fingers crossed that a rescheduled date can be organised and the weather once again is kind as it was on Tuesday 2nd.

Lancasters apart there were some guys dressed up in period RAF clothing at the event, from various groups and I have to say the attention to detail of all was astounding. However dress aside, one thing impressed me very much; following a talk about the flying kit they went on to discuss Bombs and the various fuzes. This is great to see, and even more than that the amount of people who were interested to listen and learn about this. I took some photos to share to give an idea. Very accuate information delivered in an engaging way ..........well done to all those involved. The Tallboy on display is a replica, but everything else you see is 100% original. I hope you like the photos.......

regards Kev

P9020746.jpgP9020748.jpgP9020749.jpgP9020770.jpgP9020774.jpgP9020777.jpgP9020778.jpgP9020782.jpgP9020787.jpgP9020793.jpgP9020794.jpgP9020798.jpg

Last edited:
.......following on from the East Kirkby event on 2nd September I have been following Veras progress as work continued on her engine replacement. Yesterday morining the engine fired up ok and it was posted on the Canadian website that she would have a test flight then return to RAF Conningsby. I live less than three-quarters of an hour from the base and so took a chance on seeing her fly in, at which point I had no idea if the test flight was successful or not. To be honest I was inspired by a tour I took of East Kirkby airfield the previous day aboard an old Queen Mary trailer, the guide told us that he was more moved at seeing two lancasters on the ground taxiing out than he was seeing them in the air. I suddenly realised that perhaps this was a good opportunity to see Vera on the ground................so I took a chance.

Believe it or not, sometimes fate plays a hand........on arriving there were a number of cars already parked up outside the hanger. I spoked to a couple who informed me that she was on her way, and showed me on their tracking device that she was over Woodhall Spa as we spoke. So literally 5 minutes after parking up she was in sight, doing a circuit as she came into land. Once on the ground she parked within feet of where I had parked. The Canadian crew and all on board got a well deserved round of applause from all there, the relief apparant on their faces. A massive effort put in by everyone to get things back on schedule. The crew came over to the crowd which was great to see, as did the pilot.............all were a credit to their nation. I even managed to get an autograph from the pilot himself, for which I was very grateful.

If you drive into Conningsby you cannot help but be taken back by the reception that the whole village has put up.......Canadian flags and bunting adorn many of the houses and its evident that the efforts put in are much appreciated. In fact I believe that the Canadians themselves are still taken aback by the ammount of support and welcome they have received..........I for one am truely grateful and feel a certain privelage at being able to see this.

Here are some photos taken at Conningsby, showing Vera arriving and on the ground. Also a resident Hurricane and Spitfire of the BBMF and last but by no means least 'Thumper' the BBMF Lanc, parked up inside the hanger, no doubt enjoying a well deserved rest, she too has encountered problems which have been sorted, but perhaps not widely known. These are old aircraft after all and need constant maintenance to keep them flying. The guys on the ground you are not forgotton.

I couldnt leave Conningsby without taking (a rather distant picture) of the Tallboy and Grandslam bombs, good to see these have some form of shelter now, they used to be open to the elements. One thing I did learn during the talk at East Kirkby, was that the Tallboy bombs were more expensive to produce at the time than the Lancaster bomber, the Grand Slam even more so.......one reason not to drop them unless the target could be seen - the rule was, if you cant see the target, bring it home!!

again hope you like the pictures, a selection of what I took
regards Kev

P9030801.jpgP9030806.jpgP9030809.jpgP9030815.jpgP9030820.jpgP9030824.jpgP9030828.jpgP9030831.jpgP9030832.jpgP9030835.jpgP9030836.jpgP9030838.jpg

Hi Kev,Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to keep us updated and for posting the pics,living over this side of the country we heard nothing of the trials and tribulations of the Canadian lanc except form people such as yourself,
Again many thanks,
Regards,
Don,