What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M437A1 HE shell for M107 SP gun

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a 175mm M437A1 HE projectile as used in the M-107 Self Propelled gun. The projectile uses fragmentation, blast and mining to destroy a target. Targets are to be considered anything within range. Maximum range of the projectile is 32.800 mtrs. Vo. is 914 mtrs/sec when using the maximum powder charge.
The projectile consists of a hollow steel forging with a boat tailed base, and a streamlined ogive. A wide red copper driving band is placed on the just above the boat tailed base. Below the red copper driving band a white nylon obturation ring is placed in a groove to ensure a gas tight seal.
At the base, a 1,5 mm thick disc is welded that forms an extra seal. When the projectile is forged small cracks can appear in the base, so the disc prevents hot gas from reaching the explosive charge and cause a premature explosion.
The explosive charge is cast. The projectile has a deep fuze cavity that is normally filled with a 0,30Lb TNT supplementary charge packed in an aluminium container. When using a fuze with a long tail piece, the supplementary charge is removed. Depending on the fuze used, the projectile explodes on impact (M-572 series impact fuze), after digging in upon impact (M-572 with delay setting), or in airburst mode when using the VT M514 series (proximity) fuze .
When firing the projectile with the maximum charge, the acceleration force was so tremendous that the normal M557 PD fuzes hollow nose piece buckled. Therefore, the M557 PD was modified by filling the hollow nose cap with polyester resign, and so reinforce the nose cap. This fuze was renamed M-572 PD and is used only for the 175mm M437 projectile.

As it is difficult to make large projectiles of the exactly the same weight, each projectile is classed in one of four weight zones :

Zone I : over 142,75Lb. (64,75 kg)and up to & incl. 143,96Lb.
Zone II : over 143,84 Lb and up to & incl. 145,05Lb.
Zone III : over 144,93 Lb and up to & incl. 146,14Lb.
Zone IV : over 146,02 Lb and up to & incl. 147,23 Lb (66,78 kg).

The weight zone of the projectile is indicated by the number of prick punch marks on the ogive of the projectile.
The weight of the projectile is taken into consideration when calculating the flight trajectory.

There are two types of 175mm M437 projectiles available:
the M437A1 model which is filled with 30Lb (13,6 kg)TNT,
the M437A2 model which is filled with 31Lb (14 kg) Comp. B. Both use a 0,30Lb (0,136 kg) Supplementary TNT charge below the fuze.

The 175mm M-107 Self Propelled gun uses the same chassis and gun carriage as the M110 8 (203mm) Gun. As the M-107 S.P. gun only weighs 28.200 Kg it is air transportable.

The M-107 self-propelled gun was used by the following countries:
Greece, Iran, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, South Korea, Spain, Turkey, United states of America, United Kingdom and Germany.

Due to its great range the M-107 had an outstanding reputation and saw extensive action in the Vietnam war, the 1973 Yom Kippoer war and the Iran-Iraq war.

One deadly problem occurred when using the gun in the 70s of the last century. Due to the large and long- explosive cavity, the cast in explosive charge (cast in at 81,5 degrees celcius) started giving off vapours and trapped air that was pushed downward while the explosive charge solidified, leaving a 0,030 (0,76mm) gap at the base of the explosive charge. Upon firing of the projectile the explosive charge slammed down into the base of the cavity, causing the projectile to explode in the barrel, a so called premature. This problem was solved by adjusting the casting process, and NDT testing each separate manufactured projectile by means of X-ray inspection;
A report describing the problem and the solution by X-raying the projectile can be found here:
http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j...=vALaHJNjborZIZhB-il-Nw&bvm=bv.69411363,d.ZWU

Another problem was that the pressure in the barrel rose to 45.700Psi (3.150 Bar) when firing with the full powder charge. Small cracks and granular inclusions, caused by the production process of the relatively long barrel resulted in barrels that exploded. The pressure will not be a problem when one fires powder charges for a shorter range with a lower pressure (charge1 or 1&2). However, firing at full range (charges 1, 2 & 3), barrel life was reduced to 300 shots. Later barrels were made with an improved production process had a 1200 shots barrel life.
http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j...OzWxa6pdct1frgdCg&sig2=p8Fz9qcIvR_J_zn4SufN8w

An instruction movie showing the M-107 firing can be found here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhfgdsawrzM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHNqeEASmk

A site dedicated to the M-107 in Dutch service;
http://www.107afdva.nl/index.htm

Projectiles were also manufactured in the Netherlands by the AI (Artillerie Inrichtingen) in Zaandam. The factory closed due to lack of ammo requirements at the end of the cold war.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - 175mm M437A1 HE with propelling charge and primer (complete shot).jpg
    01 - 175mm M437A1 HE with propelling charge and primer (complete shot).jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 02 - Fuze M-572 PD.JPG
    02 - Fuze M-572 PD.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 03 - 175mm M437A1 HE backside.JPG
    03 - 175mm M437A1 HE backside.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 04 - Primer DM 191-A1.JPG
    04 - Primer DM 191-A1.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 05 - Ignition charge for main powder charge.JPG
    05 - Ignition charge for main powder charge.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 06 - M107 , 175mm SP artillery.jpg
    06 - M107 , 175mm SP artillery.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 07 - M107 , 175mm SP artillery.jpg
    07 - M107 , 175mm SP artillery.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 08 - granaten.jpg
    08 - granaten.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 87
Here is another, plus the drill round and the WP. I've seen a flechette and a submunition as well, but never had the chance to pick one up.

DSC_5078.jpgDSC_7722.jpgDSC_5080.jpg

Hello DJH,

You wrote M437A1 is filled with TNT and the yellow stencil on your nice shell is comp B ?

Regards

TM 43 0001 28.jpg

Last edited:
Oops..... Seems I made a mistake in the text. Up for some extra work replacing the 1 for a 2.
Thanks for pointing out. Nice to see that at least some people read the postings thoroughly.

Thanks US Subs, I knew there was a HE, a drill and a Sabot subcalibre, 175/155, Produced by EMZ (left from the M437 in the picture, but I did not know there was a white phospor smoke, a flechette and a submunitions type. If you ever walk into a sub munitions type, please keep me in mind :) , it woud be a valuable addition to my submunition shells collection.

One other thing that occured to me , the Dutch manufactured shells are loaded Comp.B and are marked M437C1 (See text in black circle in picture). What is the difference between A1 and C1?

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• img049.jpg
    img049.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 08 - M437C1.jpg
    08 - M437C1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hi @pzgr40,
only just now I read this very well researched articel of yours. Also you wrote it already 6 years ago, i personally consider it one of your Best, because of the wealth of background info and the "links". Thank you very much.
Bellifortis.

Thank you, nice to hear you like it:tinysmile_grin_t:. But the wealth of information is what is available scaterred over the internet and in my own small file. Often the amount of info available about a piece of ammo is abundant, in other cases there's hardly any -usable- info to be found. A matter of luck in some cases.
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Hi @pzgr40,
I have another question regarding your nice sectoning-work. In 1 foto you show the ignition-pad of the propellant charge. On this there is stenciled "CL1 BLK PWD". I searched the net for "CL1 Black Powder" but could not find anything. Do you know the specifications for this "CL1" Black Powder. Because its written in english I assume this to be a US or british specification.
Regards,
Bellifortis.