What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown OLD grenade

nachtwuenscher

Premium Member
Good evening,
I just received a quite interesting item. It's about 22 cm long and 8.5cm in diameter. The fuze adapter muzzle has a diameter of ~1inch. The only markings on the body are "A" "1686" "N". It's painted in blue gray. The person I got it from told me that these grenades were thrown by a kind of catapult (fast rotating wheels) to defend port entrances. Nevertheless, I can not find any reference. Interestingly, I just spotted another specimen (with fuze) in the collection of @MatthewLawton.
Maybe you guys have some background information for me and of course for the interested fellow readers :).
Thanks for your precious help,
Stefan

Attachments

• Dscf1857 (10)_SMALL.jpg
    Dscf1857 (10)_SMALL.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Dscf1857 (13)_SMALL.jpg
    Dscf1857 (13)_SMALL.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Dscf1857 (12)_SMALL.jpg
    Dscf1857 (12)_SMALL.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 60
  • Dscf1857 (11)_SMALL.jpg
    Dscf1857 (11)_SMALL.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 53
Hello,

It's a WW1 French HE round for trench mechanical projector called "Fronde B".

Two rounds on the projector, one HE grenade painted grey-blue (fired), one inert painted red (used as an opposite weight).

Regards

FrondeB.jpgFrondeB 2.jpgFronde B 3.jpgFrond B diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the id and the superb pictures. Now i have some homework for the next week: deciphering the article with my long forgotten school french :). doyou know whether these grenades were in use before 1900 and whether these were a success (i suppose not)? is it a special fuze or do there exist also some other compatible fuzes for the grenade?

Last edited:
Hello,

The article only describe the operation of the (strange) mechanical projector. I assume this device was made for the trench war after 1914. This grenade is quite rare.
This projector is part of a large number of eccentric machine made for the new static war ; for sure not very effective !
I know two different fuzes for this grenade (special, and not easy to find !)
The first use the same pull-friction device with wood top as the french grenade ball Mle 14 but the base of the fuze is different (fuze shown in picture one -less the wood plug- and in the diagram above)
You can see the second fuze (maybe improved first fuze) in the picture below.

Regards

fuze 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for showing. So I assume finding the right fuze will be nearly impossible. Nevertheless, I am glad to have this rarity in my collection.