What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocket fins

hangarman

IMG-20140712-01401.jpg

Here is a comparison shot of a post war (does anyone know what mark of fin it is?) 3" RP fin. The top one is unused and is .050" thick and the fired one is .030" thick. This is due to corrosion and sliding up and down a beach for 30 years or so.
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,

the one on mine are defo makeshift ones, based on the design of the one on the top, but definitely too rough to be pukka.

I am going to get it probably next weekend, I will then inspect it properly and we'll see. Did you get my last PM? I managed to take some accurate measures of the wartime fins at Hendon.

Also, do you have any idea whether the AP head was screwed in place? I'd like to try and remove mine to do some restoration work to it.

Cheers

A.

Hi A,
Yes, the AP head was screwed into place. Assuming the head has rusted in place it will probably need a good soak in diesel to help free it off. However you decide to secure the motor whilst undoing the head, do not grip it around the top of the motor where you will see a set of slightly proud pins. These pins secure a threaded collar to the rocket motor body and if nipped in a vice will press against the threaded boss of the head. Do not be surprised if you cannot get the head off ! it has probably been sat in seawater for a couple of years. How did the fins at Hendon measure up? I assume they are original? Cheers Gary

great, I figured it'd be something like that :)

Re. the fins, they're defo pukka, they have a tiny detail I had never noticed: each face of the rocket fin is numbered! If you send me your email I'll send you all the details. I brought a calliper to get accurate measures, and the staff there was very helpful! You don't happen to have a spare AP head or know someone who might have one?

Spare head!!! One did appear on ebay last year but that's about it. my AP head is seized onto a fired motor :( Cheers Gary