What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copper butterfly

SG500

Premium Member
I picked these up at W&P this week, the original paint scheme interested me, there's no doubt that nobody has messed with these, they are all original, rust and all.

On closer inspection the following day I worked out why the wings are so free from holes. Under the paint both the end paddles and the main brake wings are copper coated. I've seen end paddles that are copper coated but never the whole wing set.

For the price (35) I was happy with these just as an example of what the paint job should look like.......and for the purists, I have no plans to restore these, they'll stay just as they are.

Dave.

IMG_7732.jpgIMG_7728.jpgIMG_7729.jpgIMG_7730.jpgIMG_7731.jpgIMG_7727.jpg

wonder if the wings were copper coated for the welding process, the parts not coated have really corroded,,,,,, Dave

Like Dave I have seen examples of copper coated end paddles but never the brake wings as well. One thing I can say is that this copper coating only appears on the 'banana' wing variant and to date this is a single manufacturer,code 'bk'.
Of course if anyone has seen a different manufacturer of banana wing version then please correct me.

As it is only a single manufacturer I would think it is simply part of their manufacturing process, rather than being specific variant, as Dave (millsbomber) points out it could be part of the welding process.

Whatever the reason these small variations are what keeps the interest alive and often its the small things that throw up the biggest questions. Thanks for sharing Dave, 35 well spent for sure!!!

regards Kev

Ive a set of minty ones from egun that sport this copper wash. on inspection,they are the 'banana' variant too.

waffy