What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early QF 3 pdr (47mm) Steel Projectile

Dronic69

Premium Member
Good Evening all,

Another recent find was this 3 pdr Mk V projectile, made by Royal Laboratory (R.L.), which I gather has been badly repainted as the driving band gap was also "painted"...............

Does anyone have any information on the period that the Mk V projectile was in use? Perhaps also the Mk VI as shown made by Vickers Sons & Maxium (V.S.M)?

This is the second projectile in over 35 years that I have found - the real bummer is that I had up to a couple of years ago a spare case!!!!!!:cry:

Thanks

Cheers

Drew

Attachments

• DSCN7638.JPG
    DSCN7638.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN7642.JPG
    DSCN7642.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN7645.JPG
    DSCN7645.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 127
Niza proyectil - gracias por compartir!

Debera haber sido un poco ms especfico como el naval "3 pdr (47mm)" la historia se expande desde 1886 hasta la dcada de 1950 ............

El PDR 3 Me refera a fue el 3 pdr QF Hotchkiss que se introdujo en 1886 (esto es diferente de la 3 pdr Vickers que se introdujo ms tarde en 1902 que sustituy a la Hotchkiss).

El largo de la caja (no se muestra plenamente es 47x375R, fechado en 1897, no 47x360R (Vickers), Howvever No estoy seguro de si mismo proyectil se utiliz con tanto o era diferente -?? Tal vez diferenciados por las versiones Mk, de ah mi pregunta cuando el Mk V y Mk VI se produjeron (ambos parecen idnticos con el mismo hilo de base)

(Tal vez los dos proyectiles son para la tarde Vickers?)

Su proyectil es tambin ms corta y no parece tener un fusible de base - tal vez APT?

gracias
Salud
dibuj

============================================================================

Nice projectile - thank you for sharing!

I should have been a little more specific as the naval "3 pdr (47mm)" history expands from 1886 up to the 1950s............

The 3 pdr I was referring to was the 3 pdr QF Hotchkiss that was introduced in 1886 (this is different from the 3 pdr Vickers which was later introduced in 1902 which replaced the Hotchkiss).

The case length (not fully shown is 47x375R, dated 1897, not 47x360R (Vickers), howvever I'm not sure if the same projectile was used with both or was different? - perhaps differentiated by the Mk versions?, hence my question when the Mk V & Mk VI were produced (both look identical with the same base thread).

(Perhaps both projectiles are for the later Vickers???)

Your projectile is also shorter and doesn't appear to have a base fuse - perhaps APT?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN7649.JPG
    DSCN7649.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
hi, I'm sure there is lots of info on the forum re 3pr 'naval' rounds. basically 47x376R were Hotchkiss and Nordenfeldt and the 47x412R was Vickers which used the same shell and did not replace the use of the Hotchkiss/Nordenfelt type. I think the pictures shown give good reason as to why people reband shells and that it is acceptable so long as they are declared as such.

There is some info on here ref British 3 Pounder,but not much on Projectiles. The VSM stamp will help date the MK6 projectile as it was only in use for a certain period of time. Apart from the obvious size difference,all Vickers 3 pounder cases are marked VICKERS on the headstamp to prevent confusion. If anyone can post more info on Projectiles I too would be greatful. Cheers Tig.

been looking at various handbooks of ammunition and its complicated to say the least. 1915 states the Mk IX steel shell can go in the MK II. II*, III case and the vickers case takes the same shells as the Hotchkiss cases. 1909 details the rounds but not the Mk of shell. 1912 refers to a Mk VI shell. Vickers cases are always marked VICKERS on the base. * after the case Mk indicates conversion from cap to screw in primer.

the photo of the shot looks to be of a solid practice shot with tracer cavity. not sure/cant remember what LBA stands for.

This is the second projectile in over 35 years that I have found - the real bummer is that I had up to a couple of years ago a spare case!!!!!!:cry:

Well, I guess if one is patient enough, you never know what will turn up - this is my third case that I have found.

Which btw is a better match for my Mk V R.L. projectile as it is a Mk II RL naval case dated 1904

(Now about those missing driving bands................)

Attachments

• 20211104_205730a.jpg
    20211104_205730a.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211104_210157a.jpg
    20211104_210157a.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: