What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Tropen' 9mm with Sintereisen bullets

mausernut

Put this question on the IAA forum but get ignored for some reason:

The black iron cored 08 bullets are usually not sealed at the case mouth, but the contents of a 1943 dnh box I have just aquired are. These have SE bullets. The primers are painted as well though they according to the box label are 'standard' 08/40 primers.

-S

Soren

Probablyyou want to know the difference between the primer 08/40 blue and 08/40 withblue annulus.
It is thesame as by the introduction from the primer 30/40 on the 7,92x57 Mauser.
In the beginningthey did not trust the zinc plated primer so they covered the complete primer with the protection lacquer. Later they found out it was not necessary, and the primer was protected with a normal annulus protection. (Ringfuge) The primer was the same.

Why the bullet sealant is on SE rounds, I have no information about this.
For examplethe last asb SE (asb St+ 34 44) before they changed to rfo has a normal primer 08 and the SE bullet is not sealed

Rgds
Dutch

OK, Thanks for the explanation on the primer. The mouth sealing could be because they didn't trust the SE bullet to seal properly against the case mouth and later found out it wasn't necessary. Just a wild guess on my part.
Soren

Yes I do, but meant as a descriptory (descriptive?) term rather as a factual ditto. But it could have been made for the Kriegsmarine, since they did have MP38/40s on the U-boats. Though why so late as 1943? -and only on the sintered iron bullets? As have been mentioned elsewhere, the primer was painted because it might rust. I guess we have to wait until someone digs out the relevant documents in Koblenz or Berlin.
Soren

eta: d-words....

Sorry to come late to this thread, I have only just joined BOCN. With reference to the possible Kriegsmarine need for the sealant -
I have in my small collection a couple of badly pulled rounds with the sintered bullets. These were given to me many years back by a work colleague who stripped them from a "Schmiser" (his description) obtained at the end of 1944 or early 1945. The guy was a wireless lorry operator following behind a British tank squadron in Europe and felt he needed something more than a Lee Enfield so he liberated the SMG from ordinary Army troops his squadron captured.
Hope this helps, even if it is late!
Ron

Normally the 9mm with this protection had the marking "trop" (Tropen) on the Label.

Rgds

Attachments

• Tropen.jpg
    Tropen.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 19
Mausernut, I have wondered this myself, but no answer. This seems to be seen mostly on dnh (Geco) made 9mmP08. I did a quick review of my collection and after 1942, the only case mouth seals (red or black) seem to be on dnh rounds, particularly SE rounds. The latest date I have for thise is lot 10 of 1944. I have a dnh brass case load, lot 1 of 44, with a red cms. This may have been a company practice for some reason.

In fact, this is why I am confident that the X hst Nahpatronen were made by Geco, because many years ago, two X hst cases turned up loaded with SE bullets with black cms identical to those on dnh loads.

I also have a dnh brass case, lot 2 of 42, with a black mE bullet and a black cms distinct on the black bullet!

Wish I knew more of why this was done.

Cheers,
Lew