What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

very strange .30-06 bullet any thoughts

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can identify this strange .30-06 bullet for me.

Sadly it is now broken in two but you can work out from the photos what it would have looked like. The case had a standard FA29 headstamp but was too far gone to be worth keeping.

points to note are the short length of the bullet, the apparent drive band, the hollow tube that was originally joined to the bullet which appears to have had a blue dye in it. The point appears to be 'sharpened'.

My thoughts are that it might be a target marking round if such a thing existed. Over to you experts as always!

many thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 100_4935.jpg
    100_4935.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 96
  • 100_4936.jpg
    100_4936.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_4937.jpg
    100_4937.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 90
Hadn't thought of that Andy, ball point pens can be very dangerous in the wrong hands. But I've never seen a biro with a brass refill!

Dave

They were made of brass tubing until the late 60's then as with everything changed to plastic, you probably don't remember crisps in paper bags and yogurt in cardbord cartons then :)

Andy:)

yes, I can remember crisps in paper bags with salt in rolled blue paper but we only had dip pens in those days. And as far as I am aware, nobody ever loaded them into cartridges - not even the Americans.

Hi Dave,have you tried poking a toothpick or similar down the tube towards the point and see if you get any ink residue,it certainly looks like the end of a ball point forming the tip of the round,if it turns out to be a pen someone has been clever or skilled to make it look so neat,
Cheers,
Don,

the more I think of it Don/Andy you could just be right. After all, we did put pencils in 303 cases. And a biro in a 30-06 would make a much better target marker than a pencil! Bugger, I thought it was something really unusual - how right I was!

Anyone else got anything to add?

Thanks, Dave

I think you'll find these were used for training aids for recruits point of aim,aim was taken and then the pin inside the bullet struck a rod in the barrel which pierced a paper target to find out if the recruits point of aim was correct...these were called the Hollifield target practice rod device.....http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=introduction-to-30-06-cartridges
scroll down to the dummies section

Tony

Last edited:
hi Tony, well done that man! Yes, that looks and sounds much more like it. A biro indeed! But the biro idea does sound like a good idea, print the target on both sides and when you've splattered it with ink on one side, turn it round and start again.

Thanks Tony/Don/Andy

Sorry chaps, but that is not a Hollifield Dotter, or any part of one. It's true that some of it may resemble parts of a Dotter and I suppose if you hold it just right, squint your eyes, click your heels together, and really want to see a Dotter, you can convince yourself that it is.

Cartridge cases that contain a pencil or ball point pen in place of a bullet are not rare. Most collectors I know have at least one in their collection. The same can be said of cartridges converted to cigarette lighters.

Sorry to disappoint.

Ray
2wcgnth.jpg