What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval 5.25 & 4 inch mk16 cases

Curious

Hi

Does anybody have any pictures & details of British 5.25 Naval cases (Dido main armament) please? Never seen one and have asked at a few events so assuming very rare and pricey if they were available. Searches on the net did not seem to turn up much either. How rare are 4 inch mk 16 naval cases and a rough guide of where I could look / how much to expect to pay would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have never seen the 5,25 inch cases. The 4 inch cases do turn up some times in Holland but they are always finds from the Northsea but thats always a thing I like. The price is not to much the dented one was 30,00 euro . But it's not a common case over here. Maybe cheaper on your side of the Northsea.
Maybe someone knows why the rimmed part of the shell case is ribbed?
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

A ribbed or milled rim which I think is the correct term, indicates a sub calibre round or possibley a star shell, its so you dont load an unsuitable round in action at night, by mistake.

Hello that the 4" case your saying is ribbed for star shell? as far as I can remember all 4" MK XV1 rounds used the same case

I have one 5.25 inch case for the Mk. 2 Gun. It is 7-1/4 inches across the rim and 30-3/4 inches long, dated 1949. Headstamp shown.

Second photo L-R, 5.25 inch Mk.2 Gun case, 4.5 inch MK.s 3-5 dated 1972, and 4 inch MK.s VV and XV Fixed.

Photos Copyright HAZORD 2014

Attachments

• 5.25 inch headstamp.jpg
    5.25 inch headstamp.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 5.25 elevation.jpg
    5.25 elevation.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Hello can you post a photo of the other two cases bases As I may have filled the 4.5" case

Steve
EX RNAD Trecwn

The 5.25in MkI case had the early type of 3 bent tags closure and the MkII had a crimped in ring into which a cap screwed. Dont know if there were later Mks as it soon became obsolete in 1959.

Hi All,

And yet more images of 5.25in items, this time from Australia.
The cart is a MkII with the ring crimp for the closing wad. The proj. is a cast iron prac T but has a steel nose.
I also have images of the MkI but can't find them among my library!!!
A good pic can be found in Wikipedia, search Google for HMS Sirius WWII, and also Dido class destroyers.

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• 5.25 finish-1.jpg
    5.25 finish-1.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 5.25.jpg
    5.25.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 5.25 HS.jpg
    5.25 HS.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 5.25 mouth.jpg
    5.25 mouth.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 42
Another 5.25' from the antipodes.
This one unfortunatley has 2mm cut of the top(to get rid of the tabs) and then belled out above the ring crimp!.
Been reloaded a few times and a few years service too.

5.jpg

Bob

Hi I have a nice pair of post war mk16, 4 inch cases ,one has the same milled rim and a different neck crimp . also this one is still clean brass on the inside , I managed to get the pair for 40 a few years ago no dings or dents , the guy was an Armourer at HMS rosyth back in the 70's . I thought my milled rim was maybe a drill as its so clean inside ???

Cheers Ken

Attachments

• 4 inch case head stamps 019.jpg
    4 inch case head stamps 019.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 4 inch case head stamps 020.jpg
    4 inch case head stamps 020.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 4 inch naval mk 16 004.jpg
    4 inch naval mk 16 004.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 4 inch naval mk 16 011.jpg
    4 inch naval mk 16 011.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 4 inch naval mk 16 012.jpg
    4 inch naval mk 16 012.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 4 INCH SHELL 018.jpg
    4 INCH SHELL 018.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 34
  • NAVAL SHELL 006.jpg
    NAVAL SHELL 006.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
5,25 complete round.jpg

Hello, i am sorry i do not have close up pictures of the 5.25 but on this picture you see on the left the projectile and the case. will try to get better pictures, regards Ben

Hi Ken I may be able to help you about the 4" cases

1 I only saw 1 4" MK 16 round being assembled many years ago about late 60s cant remember how it was crimped something in my mind seem to remember a white rubber ring being fitted in the grove near the bottom of the shell before the round was mechanically assembled.

2 The other case that has no marking looks like its never been filled mind you it was worked on in the factory department at Trecwn in the 60s

Hope this info helps

Steve EX RNAD Trecwn