What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fixing flared cases

shooter1992

Premium Member
In my wisdom I was showing a good friend one of my 20pdrs, being a canister shot. After I finished I didn't put it away and decided to do it later. Unfortunately having forgot about it I rolled back on my desktop chair and subsequently the round fell and hit the floor. Created a hell of a bang and in the process caused a bit of damage to the case. Stupidity doesn't begin to explain it on my part, but none the less it has unfortunately flared out the mouth of the case on one side due to hitting the deck.

20140729_152251.jpg20140729_152259.jpg

For some reason the images are tilted sideways and haven't been able to figure out how to correct that.

As you could imagine I am extremely disappointed and would like to correct it and hence turning to the good people at BOCN for advice. I have no doubt this has happened a thousand time before so I am really just wanting to know how or if people have successfully corrected it. I can understand the procedures of necking down ammunition similar to resizing, but my main concern is firstly we are talking about a much larger case as well as I would be concerned about pulling it of centre.

If I were to spin of a lathe central holes to neck it down to the required dimension, would this be the best method of correcting the error?

Thank you for any information that people can provide.

I would just use some heat (blowtourch) and tap it back carefully..........................use a similar diameter pipe so as not to damage the proj.

Second option would be to buy my 20 pdr case, which I only picked up the other week..........:xd:

Cheers
Drew

BTW - I only collect fuzes, but seem to be picking up a number of uncommon cases lately.................