What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Id of Projectile

alpvogt

Ordnance approved
I got two pictures of a unknown Projectile, the diameter is 120mm, no markings. Sorry for the little details. Maybe someone of you can give me an Id on this one.

Regards

alpvogt

V__1F41.jpgV__6358.jpg

The fuze is a german Krupp 34 sec. double action fuze. Many countries were using these 34 sec. fuzes. The projectile (I think it is a shrapnel) has the typical red-brown color which Krupp used mostly on shrapnels. Many countries around the world adopted this color for own shells. I think this color was used because of it's effective rust protection and not primarily used as a color code for shrapnel shells.

@Alpvogt: Does it have a 50 mm thread with 8 tpi?

some examples of Krupp's 34 sec fuze series (Netherlands, Italy, Belgium). There are much more of them but documents are hard to find.

I think at least the dutch variant was produced by Krupp. Italy produced the fuze in own factories. About Belgium I am unsure I think the bought fuzes from Krupp and also produced own ones ("EP", "MO" factories).

Attachments

• 34sec.png
    34sec.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 34sec2.png
    34sec2.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 34sec1.png
    34sec1.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Alpini, do you know this factory symbol, it's on the bottomof the projectile.

V__11EC.jpg

Last edited: