What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

13 Pounder Shrapnel Shell

peregrinvs

As first shown in the Projectiles section. The previous restorer did a rather quick and dirty job on it so I've stripped it back to bare metal to start again.
13 Pounder shrapnel shell.jpgIMG_3322.jpg
I don't think it's too bad an example as fired ones go as it has almost no impact damage and it isn't badly rust rotted - there are still some areas where you can see machining marks. I've now started filling in the pitting.

Its cleaned up well and will be nice to see it finished, i did noticed the stamp on the fuze socket is Canadian
Regards
Andy

Thanks. I've since made some progress with the filling and sanding and will post another pic when I've finished.

005.jpgI would like to show a pic of a friends restoration collection,he's good at it,and is now slowly mastering the stencilling,cheers

earni74 you have a very talented friend. I have never seen so many 13prs in one place! Thanks for sharing.
Gary

Beautiful restoration jobs....most of them are 18 Prs. I think the two on the right are 13 Pr 9cwt rounds. Keep up the good work

Hi ALL, the pic shows mostly 18 Pdrs with a couple of 13s on the side,he has also done a shelf full of 25 Pdrs,most of them recovered and in poor condition,but now look like the 18s/13s in the pic,thanks on his behalf for youre comments

Now filled and sanded. The surface still isn't perfectly even, but I don't have a lathe and there are limits to what can be realistically achieved with a bog standard hand held electric sander. It's a lot smoother than it was and I shall count that as a success. Now onto the painting.
IMG_3323.jpg

Its coming along ok, it is a job to do without a lathe but well done, use a filler primer and build the paint up and use wet and dry to get a good finish.
Andy

Its coming along ok, it is a job to do without a lathe but well done, use a filler primer and build the paint up and use wet and dry to get a good finish.
Thanks. Improvising with what I have to hand I have twice painted on a thick layer of primer undercoat and then skimmed it back with wire wool. It seems to have worked fairly well and I've put a first coat of satin black on it. Ditto the 6pdr Hotchkiss shell. I shall also do the same with the 17pdr flathead shot as I haven't filled all of the surface on that.

View attachment 96151I would like to show a pic of a friends restoration collection,he's good at it,and is now slowly mastering the stencilling,cheers
Lovely work. I'd be very happy if my current projects end up looking as good as that. Might I ask where he found the stencilling details for the 13 Pounders? I'm in need of some information on them.

Now painted up and onto the stencilling. I've included the before pic: it's not perfect, but still significantly improved in my very humble. As I cleaned it to bare metal, the filler and paint aren't going to flake off as occurred with the previous effort.

IMG_3341.JPG13 Pounder shrapnel shell.jpg

For the want of better information, I shall probably put something along the lines of Q.F. 13PR MkII FS, etc. on it. Another forum member is going to sell me a 13pr 9cwt case, but I'm still on the lookout for a field gun case.

Well done looks good,not to sure about the red bands but then its probably just me, but a good job never the less.
Andy

Hi, Yes i realize we have discussed this earlier, just humor me and measure from the top of the fuze socket to the bottom of the red band it should be 2 inches it just looks more then that but could be just the photo
Andy

Last edited:
measure from the top of the fuze socket to the bottom of the red band it should be 2 inches it just looks more then that but could be just the photo
Andy
I've checked and the top of the upper band to the bottom of the lower band is pretty much exactly two inches. I think the curve of the top of the shell and the camera angle gives a slight optical illusion.

I've checked and the top of the upper band to the bottom of the lower band is pretty much exactly two inches. I think the curve of the top of the shell and the camera angle gives a slight optical illusion.

Many thanks for clearing that up i thought it might be the case and well done.
Andy