What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bazooka rocket ID needed

Matthew Lawton

Hi Guys
So i have this rocket that i don't know what it is. After many hours on the internet i turn to you.
It seems to be exactly the same as the American 2.36inch or 60mm bazooka round however it has a push cap fuse and safety cover as found more commonly on the 3.5 inch rockets and the head is slightly different shape.
Any ideas??
Best regards
Matthew Lawton
MJL

IMG_1917.jpg

Sorry after reading 6 different documents your rocket is not a T-12. I found out the T-12 has "popout" fins like the 66MM LAW. I'll keep reading.

The lower half of the warhead is the mystery to me. Don't think I've ever seen one like that.

The snap-on safety cover is normal for the late war round-nose type M6 series rockets.

And the fin is a standard type, too, but only appeared for a few years. It is seen on 2.36" rockets produced near the end of the war and after. My manuals aren't near at the moment but recall it's in a 1947-49 dated manual on the 2.36" launchers themselves, and perhaps in the 1945 or 1950 edition of "TM9-1950, Rockets".

Rick

They did produce a M18 bazooka in about 1948 2.36 just before the 3.5 bazooka came out, not sure if this is a late rocket. I have the M18 TM manual.

2.36in M6A5 or repainted practice M7A6 without fins shroud (missing) could match (with new waterproof safety pin).

2.36in.jpg

The 2.36 inch A/T Rockets M6A1 and M6A3 are identical except for difference in the olive and the tail assembly. In other respects the two rockets are similar, consisting of a hollow olive crimped onto the body, a body union fitting into the base of the body with internal threads to receive the motor, and a fuze which is located in the forward end of the motor tube. The M6A1 has a conical olive, whereas the M6A3 has a hemispherical olive which gives better penetration by forming a stronger standoff piece for the shaped-charge effect of the explosive. M6A4 is like the M6A3, except that it is lighter - being made of high strength alloys and also uses the bore safe fuze M400. The M6A5 uses the bore safe fuze M401 and has a larger propellant grain, which eliminates the safety disk.
The M6A1 has six fins (5 1/2 inches long) spot welded to the nozzle, a steel cup internally threaded at the forward end to screw onto the motor tube. The M6A3 has a different type of tail assembly to obtain fin area and counteract the change of the center of gravity effected by the hemispherical nose. This tail assembly consists of four sheet-steel fins 2 5/16 inches long, each of which is curved over an arc of 90 degrees on its outboard edge to form a blade. Each fin is joined to the other by welding, with an overlap of approximately 1/2 inch to form a circular drum which is actually nothing more than a continuation of the four fins. The bases of the fins are spot-welded to the nozzle. In the M6A5 and M7A6 the free end of the ignition wire is attached to the shroud tail by a chip-board disk, instead of the tape on earlier models.
The propellant consists of five sticks of ballistite. On an average, the propellant weighs approximately 61 1/2 grams, though it is loaded not by weight but rather by length of powder stick, to keep the pressure for various rounds at a relatively constant value. The M6A4 and M6A5 use the Powder M7, which burns at a lower temperature, +120° to -40° F.
The fuze for the M6A1 and M6A3 consists of a steel filing pin which slips into the central cavity of the fuze body, where it is held in a rearward position by the firing-pin spring. A circumferential groove midway down the length of the firing pin receives the safety pin, which extends through the motor tube. When the safety pin is removed, the firing pin is free to move forward, restrained only by the action of the firing-pin spring. After the safety pin has been removed, the firing pin will overcome the spring and detonate the rocket if it is dropped over four feet. The fuze body contains the Detonator M18 of lead azide and tetryl, and the booster charge of tetryl.
The practice rounds are similar to their accompanying service rounds. except that they are inert-loaded and have a dummy fuze or steel weight to fill the empty fuze space. The M6A5 and M7A6 have plastic closing plugs, making them waterproof rounds. They also use the Powder M7, which burns at a lower temperature, +120° to -40° F.

Last edited: