What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17 Pounder Flathead Practice Shot

peregrinvs

As first shown in the projectiles section. The previous owner just slapped some pale blue paint on top of the rust, so as with the 13pdr and 6pdr also shown in this section it needed stripping back to bare metal to start again. Unlike the other two, I haven't filled in all the pitting - just the worst of it on the top section. Now onto the painting and I'm basically going to copy the scheme shown in this manual as it had a tracer and I'm assuming it's cast iron rather than steel:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...-1940s-to-early-50s?highlight=british+colours

IMG_3314.jpgIMG_3328.jpgIMG_3329.JPG

I assume it would also have had a red tracer symbol? If so, would this go above or below the yellow band?

Thanks,
Mark

Now repainted. I decided to go with the illustration in the 'Interservice Ammunition Markings 1948' document as it was slightly simpler and showed the position of the tracer marking. I didn't bother filling the metal below the lower drive band, hence it looks less even than the top. Now onto the tracer 'T' marking (have improvised a stencil) and any further markings will await future research.

IMG_3340.JPG

Still need a cartridge case...

New and improved with added tracer...

IMG_3350.JPG

This was my first attempt at making a stencil from cut paper and adding the paint with a sponge. It initially came out a bit smeared (probably put too much paint on) but I was able to tidy it up with a small brush and some black paint.

I'm quite tempted to semi-copy the scheme on this original and put a '17' over 'IB' on the top as it shouldn't be too difficult.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/3725-17-pdr-s-and-3-7-inch-AA-for-swap-or-part-exchange

perigrinvs,

When I first saw this projectile in your post I assumed that it was a Test/Proof projectile and didn't even know that there was a "blunt" practice round. Was the design to reduce the range and danger area?

I show an unfired Test/Proof projectile as a comparison. It is not bored for a tracer, no need for one. It still has some of the original paint and stencilling. The stamps on the side include: DD(L)12304/9 17 LB 17PR &77MM MK2 B.S. RL LOT 6 6/55.

P1010003.jpgP1010004.jpgP1010005.jpgP1010017.jpg

gravelbelly

Nice job....but please, please, PLEASE....do between and below the driving bands. I have so many times bought projectiles and then found that the previous owner had not fully completed the job. So frustrating and it detracts from the end product. You'll feel much more pious afterwards !!!! But, as I said, a good job on the rest. Like your Tracer T.

Further improved with the addition of a 1944 dated 17 Pounder case...

IMG_4469.JPG

This was my most expensive purchase at Stoneleigh this year as I've given up trying to find one in the wild and paid a full dealer price for it.