What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Pre WW1 or 75mm wooden box

DEADLINE222

When I picked this guy up it was covered in a thick coating of brown latex paint which I removed with great hopes of revealing some stenciling.

After a long cleaning session and brand new rope handles being installed, the only markings found was the ordnance ball stamp and that big, green rectangle. I believe the box was originally stained red, leading me initially believe that it was for low explosive shrapnel shells/cartridges.

That big green rectangle, I have seen it before. It was either on an auction site or somewhere buried deep within the internet, years ago. I know it means something.

Here is a link to exactly what I have with the seller proclaiming the box came from Bannerman's Island. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=435031094

(On a side note for those of you who have never heard of Bannerman's Island, now would be a good time to experience an enthralling story.)

What is this thing? All of the 75mm boxes I possess or have seen prior to now are not assembled with dovetails.

1.jpg2.jpg

Hi Deadline, Nice sympathetic restoration. I have 4 18pr boxes that require similar treatment.
Cheers
Gary