What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Bomb, very heavy very big but no idea

Fjordhouse

Ordnance approved
Hello, can somebody tell me what type of German Bomb this is? any help would be welkom, i want to put it in the museum, but i need to know what it is, the bomb is 3,5 meters long dated 1943

.IMG_7480.jpgIMG_7496.jpgIMG_7495.jpgIMG_7494.jpgIMG_7493.jpgIMG_7492.jpgIMG_7491.jpgIMG_7490.jpgIMG_7489.jpgIMG_7488.jpgIMG_7487.jpgIMG_7486.jpgIMG_7485.jpgIMG_7484.jpgIMG_7483.jpgIMG_7482.jpgIMG_7481.jpgIMG_7497.jpg
Regards

Ben

According to the length of 3.5 meter it might be a SC-2000, but the nose part is quite unusual !?

Yes but the nose part is original, the central tube goes all the way through, the nose section is very heavy, Regards Ben

First idea : SB-2500 !

But no more info that in book : German Air-dropped weapons to 1945, Wolfgang Fleischer

Yoda

What a strange Bomb, German fuse pocket, British holding lug, possibly German holding eye hole at 3 o clock, tail welded to body and a hole at the front ???????????? Dave

Dave there is no British holding lug all German tail welded to body was done 1943-44 I have a 250 same way

Was this bomb ever used in a display? Perhaps the tube in the middle took a mounting pole. The welding on the tube doesn't look that great.

N it has been lying outside if you look inside it's just as it should be correctly in the middle the whole way through fuze pocket and all other details are correct.

Like Yoda, I lean towards the SB2500, however the nose tube and the two additional access/fuze holes have me baffled. It could be an experimental design, late war.

Andy has a good point; what is known of the 'history' of the bomb, maybe that will help identify it.

Will be interesting to find out what it is, however congratulations on finding this one, will display extremely well in the museum.

regards Kev

This central tube let me think on the telescopic tube of the "SC50 Tel", but I never saw the same mounting on a bigger bomb !!!!!

Yoda

Attachments

• SC50 Tel-02.jpg
    SC50 Tel-02.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Telescopic rod mounting, thats also my thought, because that's the only design I know of with a central tube going all the way through. In the technical air-force manuals of the time there is no mention of this design in a bomb that large. Whats the dia. of the inner tube and what is the thickness of the bomb casing and it's dia. Did this bomb come from the german bomb-test-field Mandal in Norway ? The only design that fits the length of 3500mm is the SC 2000 which had a dia. of 440mm. This design had a central and transverse booster tube. The central tube did not go all the way through. Also the tail is much shorter than in the pictured bomb you show. I'm baffled.
Bellifortis.

Last edited:
Very, very interesting read, these posts are the best.

I love it when some thing unusual/different crops up.

I look forward to further discussion on this "unusual" type bomb.

This is the type of display I was talking about, maybe just after the war to show people German weapons.bomb-wwii-air-force.jpg