What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 6.5mm Arasake manufacturers

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
I picked up a clip of 6.5 Arasake rounds today, 2 were the usual no headstamp types but the others were marked 'M.A 10 15 6.5' and 'logo, see photo, 87 65 2'. Anyone any idea who the manufacturers were?

many thanks

Dave

Attachments

• 100_5281.jpg
    100_5281.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_5284.jpg
    100_5284.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 101
Hi,the first one is Mukden Arsenal,the second one is Republic of China factory 90.....Pete.

just a thought Pete, would the dates of the 'MA' round be western dates ie Oct 1915 or would these dates be according to the Chinese calender?

Dave

I`m not sure,this is all I could find about it.

Attachments

• J 6.5 1.jpg
    J 6.5 1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 88
Those are some very nice finds, Rick, especially as your photograph appears to have been lifted directly from Ken Ellks first volume on Japanese SAA.

The full length brass dummy was issued in small numbers to British troops in early 1915 for training but I have not seen it elsewhere other than in the Woodin collection. As you probably know, I wrote the original volumes on Japanese Arisakas in British service, including air and sea service.

Prior to 1914, I don't believe the Japansese headstamped their ammo, but examples are so scarce it is difficullt to confirm. Certainly, none of the ones that came to us were.

Regards
TonyE

Those are some very nice finds, Rick, especially as your photograph appears to have been lifted directly from Ken Ellks first volume on Japanese SAA.

The full length brass dummy was issued in small numbers to British troops in early 1915 for training but I have not seen it elsewhere other than in the Woodin collection. As you probably know, I wrote the original volumes on Japanese Arisakas in British service, including air and sea service.

Prior to 1914, I don't believe the Japansese headstamped their ammo, but examples are so scarce it is difficullt to confirm. Certainly, none of the ones that came to us were.

Regards
TonyE

hi, I've just been going back over an old post, see previous comments. Looking at the late TonyE's reply he seems to infer that one of the 2 rounds in the photo was a dummy. Does anyone know if he was referring to the one by arsenal 90 with the stab crimps to the primer? Or is he referring to one of those shown in the photo from zwerge? Or was the bit about the dummy round just a bit of background info and not relevant to my 2 rounds?

thanks, dave

They are both from Mukden arsenal anyway.... factory 90 was Mukden during the communist period but both of yours are from before then......the circle with two dots was from the Nationalist China period (communist China was a star within a circle)....on your MA version the 15 is year 15 (1924)...the other one is year 37 (1948)....they used the same year as the rest of us on the communist period ammunition.

Tony