What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Atomic mortar ?

f4efxr

I got bored and using a badly de-armed M-302 WP-SMOKE round , I decided to do a " What If " project .
Can anyone come up with an interesting storyline to go with it ?
Needless to say, at our store , we have gotten quite a few strange looks !
Mike
DSC00151.jpgDSC00153.jpgDSC00156.jpgDSC00155.jpgDSC00157.jpg

I fear that if this thing gets loose out in the public domain it will result in may people, especiallly in the press, losing control of their bowels and mouths.

Ha Ha, the fuze should be on ARM to make it more interesting.

As to a story:
In 1972 (as can be seen from the serial number) a special project was set up as the answer to the plans of the Warsaw Pact forces.
The only way to stop the rolling red force was nuclear ammunition.
(There was an secret information that the russians are researching something similar to tame the chinese dragon)
Theresearch was sucsessfull, but at the unit trials it was difficult to make the soldiers fire the mortars. They bluntly refuzed to fire it.
Thanks to some logistic problems, couple of the crates of unused ammunition went to a store of an unnamed AFB.
10 years after decomisioning of the base the ammo was found under rubish, old furniture and old boots.
Someone who was not so smart put them on ebay.

If You make an offer on ebay, someone might come to your door.
I am not sure if THEY will knock :)

Bob

I have to ask what would happen if "someone" saw this item and assumed it was a live, high explosive triggered, fission device?

Mind you:

They routinely shut down an busy intersection for a Chinese made, reproduction "M-61" body with a M228 fuze.

They evacuate a building (if not a city block) what someone stumbles upon a clearly marked "INERT" 106mm HEP-T cartridge.

They evacuate several city blocks when they uncover a buried AN-M series casing.

Hypothetically, can we imagine what would happen if a poorly trained or uneducated individual came upon a Uranium isotope 235 gun type mortar with a one-kiloton TNT yield?

Would they take "it is not real" for an answer, assuming there was someone present to divulge the contents of the device?

From the size of the thing, I'd say the max yield of the round would be in the neighborhood of 5-10 tons, IF you could get it to implode right. Way too small for a gun type weapon. Cheers, Bruce.

This is awesome!!! Can you make a light tutorial how we can make one ourselves? (Starting with an INERT projectile ofcourse lolz :tinysmile_twink_t2: )

Thanks F4EFXR. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

When I saw your post above, I checked my mail but at first I didn't find it. Yet seeing your nickname I remembered earlier this day I deleted 2 mails
that looked like spam at first... :eek:oh: (because of your nickname and the aol stuf... lolz :xd: )

Luckly I retrieved it (it was still in my bin-folder.)

Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial. I'll give it a try. I've got a (piece of -s-crap ) British mortar laying around
to practice on.

Don't expect the same level of art from me as you have. But I'll do my best to make it look not that bad. ;-)

I'll have to do some recalculations because where I live it's more about the centimeters instead of Inches, but I'll manage somehow.

Thank you again...

ps: Are you having any ideas on maybe trying to make a replica of the 280mm mk9 nuclear projectile from the 1953 nuclear artillery test?
(just kidding ofcourse :wink: )

Ive got a prototype BSA air rifle that fires mini .177 rockets with depleted uranium penetrator warheads with delay HE. :'!

Seriously though, if this "mortar" becomes "lost" it could cause all sorts of problems with security services etc.