What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WWII Base Detonating Fuses for 37mm and 50mm APHE Projectiles

M8owner

I just took delivery of these two base fuses from two different sources. It turned out that both were still live, but that is no longer an issue. These have to be among the simplest fuses manufactured in modern times. They are very large compared to the space required for the fuse mechanism. Most of the space inside is taken up by the tracer element. They are interesting in that the detonator is what is held in place by the shear pin - not the firing pin as in most other base fuse types. I am not certain the aluminum gain/booster pieces are original - they are not marked in any way. It is also interesting to note that one tracer element is a very long burn and the other has only 1/10 the cavity size. One of these has a home in my 50mm APHE round. The other is waiting for a nice Pak 36 37mm projectile.

german base fuses 2.jpggerman base fuses.jpg

M8owner,
How is it that you still have the two pieces that were live, i would of thought the only course of action would be to have them dealt with by trained members of EOD. These are not items to be messed around with, and are capable of causing serious injury.
Best regards Weasel.

I appreciate your concern. They were dealt with safely by trained personnel, and I was able to retain ownership.

I am surprised there is not more information out there on these fuzes - on this board and the web. It is my understanding that these are model Bodenzunder (base fuse) 5130. My information says that these should also be the base fuse in the Stielgranate 41 I just bought. However, these will definitely not fit in the base of the Stielgranate. There was a device threaded into the back of the Stielgranate with the proper threads that took someone some time to make, but I would be surprised if it was a fuse. I will get a photo of it soon.

Does anyone have a photo of the proper fuse in the base of the Stielgranate?

Thank you for your help.

Steve

I am surprised there is not more information out there on these fuzes - on this board and the web. It is my understanding that these are model Bodenzunder (base fuse) 5130. My information says that these should also be the base fuse in the Stielgranate 41 I just bought.

Does anyone have a photo of the proper fuse in the base of the Stielgranate?

Steve

Easy mistake to make as the number for the 3,7cm Pak Bd.Z. is 5103. Where as the Stielgranate is 5130.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_3033.JPG
    IMG_3033.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3034.JPG
    IMG_3034.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 29
  • BdZ5130[1].jpg
    BdZ5130[1].jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 27
Awesome. I actually had the proper base fuse already mounted in my Stielgranate 41 - sans the nice markings on yours. I have also registered on WK2ammo.com now. Thank you gentlemen for your help.