What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mons, St Syphorien Cemetery, Hooge Crqter Museum & Cemetery Ypres & Menin Gate

hicky1300

With the great weather yesterday managed to do something that`s been on my `Bucket List`! Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate.

I have travelled around the world and as an ex Serviceman alsways find War Memorils, Cemetaries etc poignant & informative.
As I am here in Belgium & have one of my bikes here myself & a fellow Brit Ian (ex REME) along with 2 Belgian colleagues got on our bikes & travelled to Mons. From there we went to St Symphonien War Gravese Commision Cemetery (1st & last casualties of WWI), then on the back roads to Hooge Crater Cemetery, Birrs Crossroads, South Menin, The Yorkshires Trench & Dug out & the Hooge Museum. Myself & Ian then got to the Gate in time for the Last Post Ceremony.

All very interesting & i learnt a lot. Many of the headstones had an undelying story. For example two Canadians killed on 11/11/18! An Australian aged 19 called Cole but known by another name (I am thinking possibly underage so used someone elses name?).
The museum is worth a look. It is a private one but very well done with a good restaurant & Bar!!
040.jpg038.jpg037.jpg035.jpg033.jpg030.jpg029.jpg028.jpg Sorry - managed to get them back to front!!