What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 French export Russian 76mm?

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is a 76.2mm x 385mm case made by Schneider in 1917 which came fitted with a very French looking HE projectile. Although it is hard to get accurate measurements from somewhat rusted examples I believe that the unfired projectile in better condition (top) in the photos is actually 76mm rather that 75mm, mainly because it will not fit in any of the French 75 cases I have, but does fit snugly in the Schneider case. The 76mm projectile appears to be 266mm long (excluding the adapter ring) and 44mm from the bottom of the driving band to the base. The best 75mm projectile I have appears to be 264mm long in comparison. I am assuming that a lot of ammunition was made by Schneider for the Russian guns during WW1, very glad to have your views and comments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 108
I have recently seen numerous examples of shell cases marked Schneider for Russian guns found in Poland. I have also seen such projectiles with French RY-18 fuses with waffenamts on them - made during WWII.

The Schneider marked 385mm cases do turn up in the UK on an occasional basis, which would indicate use by German forces on the Western Front and being brought home as souvenirs or by tourists post war. Schneider had a strong relationship with Imperial Russia and supplied a number, of guns including a M1909 76.2mm mountain gun. My understanding is that this used a case of length 191mm. For me it would appear that Schneider made ammunition for the M1902 model field gun and used French pattern projectiles.

Schneider suplied to Russia several types of 76mm guns. In Finnish Army surplus shops 76,2x385 Schneider made brass cases have been for sale regularly.

These are the French fuses with waffenamts that were found in French made 76mm projectiles mounted in similar French made cases for Russian guns.

Attachments

• 100_7162.jpg
    100_7162.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_7163.jpg
    100_7163.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 21
Hello,
From what I know, russian ww1 shell are longer (about 290mm) and with a cannelure for crimping. Maybe this is another model?
best regards