What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper Bomb Colour

SHAKY

As I am slowly coming nearer to completion of my Cooper bomb tail restoration, I could use some guidance as far as paint choice and proper colour. Would I most likely find this at an automotive paint supply ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.
Cheers, SHAKY

Still waiting on a few parts. I will also have to "replace" one of the vanes also somehow.

Attachments

• cooper 001.jpg
    cooper 001.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 55
  • cooper 002.jpg
    cooper 002.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 45
  • cooper 001.jpg
    cooper 001.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 53
  • cooper 002.jpg
    cooper 002.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 41
  • cooper 003.jpg
    cooper 003.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 41
  • cooper 004.jpg
    cooper 004.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 45
Hallo SHAKY Look here! Maybe it will help you!

Attachments

• MK II-P Cooper Style bomb.jpg
    MK II-P Cooper Style bomb.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 52
Thanks Fusse2004. I think on your example, the yellow would be original, but it has been painted as a U.S. Mark II frag ? Mine is same as yours as I have noticed some differences in manufacture between other Cooper/Mark II. e.g. suspension lug cast in, riveted loop, screw in etc. However yours also has a loop on the tail which adds to my confusion as I have seen these mostly on U.S. versions. Mine also has "Whitworth ?" threads so I am told, which would also possibly identify it as British. This also was important in determining the colour for mine, as other examples of U.S. Mark II's I've seen seem to be painted green, but could also be post war identification colour changes?
SHAKY

Last edited:
Thanks Brad. That's the best original markings I've seen so far. The yellow has darkened from age I suspect.

It's quite amazing how the old paint changes colour over time.

I've always thought that it's possibly due to the lead content but the lack of a base primer would allow the underlying surface/materials to leech through over time.

The battle to restore to original colours or to aged colours has always been a tough decision.

All the best with your restoration!
I look forward to seeing more photos as the restoration progresses.

Cheers,
Brad

This will be as far as I go with this Cooper for now. I have stopped short of the marking-nomenclature on it for now. The paint is most crisp compared to an original hand painted one but is absolutely fine with me. I am most pleased with the results of a good friend and fellow collectors work on this. He has built up a new tail section including turning down a beechwood rolling pin to proper dimensions, getting the "fins" made up, and putting it together with re-manufactured parts. The threaded part connecting to the body was made at a local machine shop. I owe most of this project to Hangarman (Gary), as he was kind enough to "borrow" a Cooper locally to get the dimensions for me to rebuild the tail section. Thanks to everyones input. I hope you enjoy the photos. I am extremely pleased with it now.
Cheers SHAKY

Attachments

• Gary Cooper 001.jpg
    Gary Cooper 001.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Gary Cooper 002.jpg
    Gary Cooper 002.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Gary Cooper 003.jpg
    Gary Cooper 003.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Gary Cooper 004.jpg
    Gary Cooper 004.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 22
  • artillery 008.jpg
    artillery 008.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 24
  • artillery 009.jpg
    artillery 009.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 24
I think I saw that at an Orangeville show several years back, chap from Dundalk had it. Totally
odd as a decorator ~ It was not inexpensive so I hope the price dropped.

I took these images outside today in natural light, grey cloudy day so perfect. 1916 HE .
The paint colour shows well and I have not cleaned it so all natural. If the RFC which
at the time was an Army organization used army colouration, this ought to be correct.
The best other source for colour would be mint rifle grenades of the period.
I'm sure quality and other issues of the time made for some variation as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0002 2.jpg
    IMG_0002 2.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 11
Presuming mine is a U.S. made MKll , what is the proper colour for such as opposed to a British made example?
Any other information would be interesting as when made wether any got overseas and
made for Britian and so on. I'm rather starting from scratch.

I have learned a little.
But the information doesn't say if or when production was stopped
after the armistice. But it would seem there were less of these than
some of the other types. Wether any got overseas is another question,
but doubtful.

Attachments

• cooper.jpg
    cooper.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 9