What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hound Dog Nuclear Missile in Oklahoma

M8owner

There is a little American Legion in the back woods of Oklahoma that has a fifties vintage atomic delivery system. hound dog.jpg

I did not write it down, and I will probably never be able to find it again. My best guess is the town of Nida on route 22.

missile_zps4b9b5786.jpg

missile2_zpsd08a5e46.jpg

That's in Tecumseh, Oklahoma. Been there since at least 2002. It's on N 4th St. between E Maple St. and E Park St. Here's the co-ordinates - 35 15.551' N 96 56.116'W

Rick

I was surprised to find that many/most of these displays are on long term loan from the military. They have a program now where they are starting to go out and check on many of them, to check their status, etc. Some of this is being done from the USAF Museum. Unfortunately some of the borrowing organizations have, over the years, "forgotten" that the item was on loan, and sold it or gave it away. The unit then has to track it down, you cannot sell what does not belong to you. It would be nice to get the loan list and see what is tucked away in hidden corners across the country.

We didn't actually quit hanging the Hound Dog (AGM-28) on the B-52Gs until the mid '70s. While not on alert, they were included in SALT/START talk numbers, and thus were still hung and displayed. An interesting feature--never saw it used--was that the Hound Dogs could be started and run like another two engines for the Buff, then refueled out of the Buff's internal tanks.