What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incendiary Bomb Markings

Montagu

Hello Community

I am a new member and this is my first post - I hope I am doing everything correctly.....

I have a 1kg German B1E incendiary bomb in very good condition. I can read most of the markings and I wonder if there are any experts out there who can tell me what some of them mean.

Body:

RW over 151

G149

BLIV

M|44

R?S over 149

G

Nose:

AZ8312

2???

R?S over 149

G

possibly M44

If anybody can help, I will be very grateful

kind regards

Montagu

Hi Motagu,Welcome to the forum,I am sure someone will be able to help with the information you require,sorry I cant help,not my field of collecting,
Cheers,
Don,

The G is a code for the year which is 1935 - its not uncommon to find them as early as this. If the tail has its original fins have a look at the metalwork, often on these early examples you may find the inspectors mark impressed into the metal and not just an ink stamp (it depends though on the condition of the tail)
the other marks relate to batch numbers and possible manufacturers

The AZ8312 on the nose refers to the fuze........... there is also the AZ13 which was used with the 1kg incendiary.

if you can post any pictures that would help assist in answering your questions, but hope this helps a little

regards Kev

Incendiary_1.jpgIncendiary_1a.jpgIncendiary_2.jpgIncendiary_3.jpgIncendiary_4.jpgIncendiary_5.jpgIncendiary_6.jpgIncendiary_7.jpg
Hi Kev
Many thanks indeed for all your help! As requested, here are some photos of the markings. Wow, it is an early example! I'm sure the tail is very old and original but I can't find any sort of markings. Do the photos help at all?
Thanks again
Paul

Thanks for the photos Paul, from which I can confirm that it is a 1935 'G' coded example. The fins are original to the piece and the last photo there are some ink stamps to be seen (I have added a picture to show you where.......digital photography really helps to find these!!)
The small eagle with the WaA number is an inspectors stamp, being a 1935 example its the early style, which again confirms the date of the item.

Very nice example, congratulations

regards Kev

Incendiary_7.jpg

Many thanks once again Kev. The fact that you have deemed my B1E a "very nice example" is highly pleasing! The double confirmation that it's an early piece is great! I had no idea it was made in 1935 - I had assumed that the date would be at least 4 or 5 years later! I thought the fins must be original as it would be very difficult to fake the aged look so convincingly. I'm not sure I would have ever spotted the ink stamp on the fin without your marked photo - excellent!
All my friends who have examined the 'bomb' have been amazed at the quality of the engineering of the nose screw. It starts, turns and seats perfectly and is as smooth as silk! :)
Cheers
Paul