What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 25mm/1inch Finned Item

pedro

Ordnance approved
Some may have seen this in another place but it has baffled our group for months.

25mm/1 in dia
250mm long
fins (4) light alloy 65mm long
2 part body, join at 85mm from nose. nose is solid
body cavity 105mm deep

body looks to be ferrous. a number of these recovered from waste pit at army ammo testing location in Australia
1525550_10152152091077960_2759169707166945283_n.jpg

The fins look similar to the .50 short range rounds so perhaps they did the same for cannon ammo?

Doesn't look fired, looks dispensed, air dropped. The design looks vaguely familiar, but it is not clicking. Not near my library, so cannot do any looking for a week or so. Sorry. Let us know if you hear anything.

I don't know what it is, but looks very similar to some flechettes I saw in Iraq that came from clusters that we destroyed. Lots of various countries' items in the pit, so I had no idea what came out of what cluster. Of course, those flechettes were less than 1/2 inch in diameter, not near as large as this, but the design was very similar. Just a thought....

Last edited:
If I recall correctly the Czechs had a couple of bomblets that size and shape, maybe pre-WWII. Longer fins, but that may be what I am thinking of. Any Czech members out there with photos? I've got pics at home, next week.