What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M39 Nebelhandgranate

timmymac

My first attempt at cutaways. I've had a couple of those fake M24's ( the ones re-enactors use a lot ) for years now & thought of a use for one. Why not make a cutaway! I thought it would be cool to have one at my grenade display at the local GI Museum this year. Besides, what else are ya gonna do with it. Anyway. Here's the result of my Saturday project. I had posted on a m39 thread that morning so I guess I had "smoke" grenade
on my mind, & I also had in my "parts/pieces cabinet a pretty nice "fake" M39 handle ( that I discovered was NOT genuine here on bocn, thanks guys) so I cut some holes in the bttm of can, gave it a new paint job. I know the detonator & fuse well are way off but the can was compley hollow. I had some scraps of brass & alum. in garage so aii I had to buy was cutting wheels for my wife's dremmel. Used "Steel Stick" rolled into makeshift pull cord bead & painted. Actually, the lead bead is original & the small tube that housed the friction pull wire was from a real bennzunder 39 I had in my parts cabinet. The can filler is styrofoam from an old fake flower pot. Other than the lower fuse part & lead bead , it's completely "fake". Well, I've spent many a Saturday project doing things that turned out a lot worse than this did!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
image.jpg My homemade fuze well & detonator. I put a little "wear & tear" on the finish of can that turned out not too bad. Wish I had correct size & font of lettering though.

Last edited:
Redo on the '39 can & had another so thought I'd try again. Not a single authentic piece in the "M24" all garage s**t. Think it turned out a little better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 32