What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M10 tank destroyer in Alsace

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
While on holiday recently I noticed a WW2 tank close to the main road and stopped to take a few photographs. One of the signs said that the ashes of an elderly M10 crewman had been interred in the vehicle.
CNV00117.JPGCNV00116.JPGCNV00118.JPGCNV00119.JPGCNV00120.JPGCNV00121.JPGCNV00122.JPGCNV00123.JPG

I'm curious, the M10 was an open-topped vehicle. Is it still open topped, or did they weld a plate over it to seal it?

This M10 was knocked out at Illhaeusern, a village between Colmar and Selestat. It is sited to the North of a minor road junction and is surrounded by a few trees. We were travelling East to West between Marckolsheim and Riquewihr, so I guess the road it is beside is the D3 or the D10 / D106 - see Michelin tourist & motoring atlas 1:200,000, page 121, grid square F2. With regard to whether this one is open topped, I cannot say, the signs make it clear that it is essentially a grave and for that reason I did not climb on it.