What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 36 Cylinder Information Wanted

NZ L1A1 Collector

I'm looking for any Photos or Information on the No. 36 Cylinder.

These Cylinders measure approximately 10.6 inches x 34.9 inches long. They have a screw cap and held Cartridges (Charge Bags) for the 9.2 Inch Guns.

I have an original single example, but unfortunately its not in my hands at the moment so I can't post any photos, but I'm looking into making some replicas and have to work out the correct color to paint the outside of the cylinders and the correct markings to be used, including the use of any filling station seals. The example we have is well worn and seems to have a grey finish to it, but that could be a cadmium coating on the Steel Cylinder.

If no one has any photos or Cylinders for the 9.2 Gun, do you have any examples of the 6 inch Gun Cylinders? I would be interested in also see any photos of the Skeleton Wood Packing Cases as I think we will make some of these as well.

Also used with the 9.2inch guns were the No. 50 Cylinder.

Typical Markings on the Cylinder could be:
[filling station Logo] 2/12/42 (date of filling)
1 CTG (no of cartridges held)
9.2 GUN (type of Gun)
62lb. 91/2 oz, Mk. 1 (weight of charge bag and mark)
WM.245
(type of cordite used)

Thanks in advance for any information supplied.

Last edited:
Try the Downloads section here http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/downloads.php?do=file&id=125 There is a large selection of Ammunition Bulletins. If you download the index it will give you a link to all sorts of fascinating information on Ammunition and packaging used by the British (and to some extent German, Italian and Japanese) during ww2. Bulletin no8 item 77 has info on the 9.2 how shell and cartridge package
Cheers
Gary

Thanks hangarman for the link, unfortunately it won't let me download the file.

I've got the Cylinder and here are some photo of it. The No. 36 Cylinder is HUGE. Length: 34.815 inches. (884.3 mm), Diameter: 10.6 inches. (269.2 mm)

No36Cylinder_11_zps6b7f8ebc.jpg
No36Cylinder_06_zps82de3f82.jpg
No36Cylinder_05_zps237a9522.jpg
No36Cylinder_01_zps4a877c8f.jpg
No36Cylinder_03_zps92bc81fd.jpg
No36Cylinder_04_zps96473f9b.jpg
No36Cylinder_08_zps4259388b.jpg
No36Cylinder_07_zpsbe1b42f4.jpg
No36Cylinder_10_zps1fd0236b.jpg
No36Cylinder_09_zps2c45c258.jpg
No36Cylinder_13_zps05a7761a.jpg
No36Cylinder_12_zpsb2b5c975.jpg

This Cylinder held a 1/2 Charge of anywhere between 54 lb to 62 lb of Cordite. Two Charge Bags were required for each round. They also produced 1/4 Charge Bags (two 1/4 Charge Bags in each Cylinder).

Unfortunately the markings are a bit faded dealing with the type and size of the Cordite used, but I think it might of been 54 lb. of W.M.182 Cordite.

It appears the Cylinder was painted a brown colour, most likely the same as the ammunition boxes. Does anyone know what the current matching paint is for the Brown?