What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practice 3.5 inch Rocket

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
A few weeks ago i was given what was left of a British 3.5 inch practice rocket,at first glance it didnt look too bad but other than the obvious lack of fins the warhead had lost a layer of metal where the paint had come off plus had several holes,
Fortunately the rocket was easily stripped by hand so i started by filling holes in the warhead and getting it stabilised,,
The L5 practice fuze was ok but minus the ejection pin,using a spare circular aluminium scalpel handle and using a drill as a lathe,i managed to make a replacement.I also mullered the set back screw whilst stripping it but managed to find another screw that with a bit of cutting and filing now looks the same as the original.
I managed to get a nice set of tailfins from another bocn member (Thank you very much )
To cut the motor and warhead all i used was an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade finished by filing smooth
Next it was a case of reassemble ,paint and stencil, i know the stencils are not perfect, (im not that good at cutting out little letters) but they will do for me.

3.5 1.jpg3.5 2.JPG3.5 3.JPG3.5 4.JPG3.5 5.jpg3.5 6.jpg3.5 7.JPG3.5 8.JPG3.5 10.JPG3.5 9.JPG3.5 11.JPG

Hi Allan,That is a nice piece of restoration,it goes to prove that in some cases it is possible to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear,Well done,
Regards,
Don,

WOW! Impressive.

On a tech note, is there any difference between the Brit and US versions? Do the US practice versions have the shaped charge cone? The ones I've seen all seem to be filled with some sort of inert matter. Did everybody(country) make their own, practice or otherwise, or were these single source, made and labeled to spec?

I cant answer your question regarding the differences ,but this version had an "HE SUB" inert fill of wax behind the cone
P1020987.JPG

Thanks everyone for your kind comments regarding this cutaway..Theres no skill in it its just willing to take a chance,
This is the last cutaway i will be doing,i have hung up the hacksaw for good and now has a nice place at the side of the fireplace.