What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V69 bounding mine

Hello everyone,

I purchased this Italian bounding mine the other day and there is some work to be done. My only problem is that I am a complete newbie when it comes to doing sections/cutaways myself, so maybe you lot can help.......please! I am looking for a suitable filler to represent the "composition B" and then a way of either obtaining or replicating a blasting cap. Any additional tips will be greatly appreciated.

regards Dylan

Attachments

• 2014-10-09114653_zps1ab4a09d.jpg
    2014-10-09114653_zps1ab4a09d.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20141008_151004_zps752d362a.jpg
    20141008_151004_zps752d362a.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20141008_151629_zpsc49cb374.jpg
    20141008_151629_zpsc49cb374.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Dylan,

Not everyone uses the same thing to represent inert simulated filler. It kind of depends on how you plan to use the sectioned item. People have used modeling clay, plaster, concrete, solid plastic cut to fit, autobody filler, and even sandpaper cut to fit the specific shape of the cavity. Modeling clay from hobby stores or flower shops is probably the fastest and comes in a variety of colors. It stays flexible and doesn't crack, but it will show fingerprints etc. All those marks can be repaired in just a couple of minutes though. The materials that set up like plaster or concrete sometimes crack over time and with rough handling, and pieces fall out, which degrades the look of the item. It takes much longer to repair those types of inert filler.

That is a really nice Valmara 69 by the way. Do you have a fuze for the top of it to complete it?

Last edited:
Hi Hazord,

First off thank you very much for the response. Unfortunately the fuse and top cover is missing. Hopefully I'll be able to track the pieces down but it wont be any time soon as those sorts of things are rarer than hens teeth in SA. What kind of plastic is best to use, or is it: whatever you can get your hands on? The modelling clay is very promising but with my little brother it won't last.

-Dylan