What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 PR II 1916 Canadian Trench Art

Investment

Hi,

I have had this piece of WW1 Canadian trench art for a while and have decided to post some images of it here. I was hoping that someone might be able to identify the 3 capital letters. I dont know if the 3 letters relate to a Canadian badge from WW1 or not.

The cartridge case is decorated with Maple Leaf motifs and on the other side, which is not shown are the words, Souvenir des Flandres. I would appreciate any help to identify what TLG or GLT or any other combination of these 3 letters might represent.

Cheers,

Invest

Case markings

18 PR II
S within 2 x Cs
HTB
/|\ within G x 2
C.F
29-12-16

Primer markings

/|\ within G
No. 1 over II
I within C
JMC joined together

Attachments

• 18 PR II Canadian Trench Art (1).jpg
    18 PR II Canadian Trench Art (1).jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 18 PR II Canadian Trench Art (2).jpg
    18 PR II Canadian Trench Art (2).jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 18 PR II Canadian Trench Art (3).jpg
    18 PR II Canadian Trench Art (3).jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 18 PR II Canadian Trench Art (4).jpg
    18 PR II Canadian Trench Art (4).jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 47
I think the HTB is a type of date code seen on many Canadian casings. I am sure other members may know more info on this and other markings.

I believe I have somehow conflicted my information. If this is an American manufacture. Please can someone correct me ??

Investment, Shaky,

The Driggs mark is similar. However, this case was made by the ‘Canadian Cartridge Company’ (CCS)

HTB = the significance of these letters has, as yet not been ascertained. They appear on most North American manufactured 'British' WWI cases and appear to be date incremental, they may be some form of ‘Lot’ identification.

TimG