What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25pr Smoke shells

Burney Davis

Premium Member
In all the information I have on WW2 British smoke shells there is no reference as to what their content actually is. I believe it is Hexachloroethane mixed with either aluminium or zinc (?) which was used in 25pr smoke shell base eject canisters, three to a projectile. Can anyone confirm this?

If that is the case what would have been used in, for instance, the 95mm projectile for the How (tank) which was not base eject (cylindrical and flat nosed)?

Any information appreciated.

D

Hello,

Maybe you already know but TimG explained (in this thread : http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/88954-British-75mm-smoke?highlight=75mm+british+smoke) that black code in white square on the shell identifies the smoke filling.

I only have the pamphlet N7 QF 25Pr from 1960 and smoke containers n3 Mk1 or Mk2 are filled with SR 264A or SR264A(M) + SR 252
and lots of other codes for coloured smoke mixtures.
I don't know what is 264A, 264A(M) and 252 compositions.
I'm sure someone could explain us.

Regards

Last edited:
SR 264A is a white smoke producing composition based on HCE..

SR 264A(M) is a modified composition of the above containing a hint of Potassium Nitrate

SR 252 is an igniter composition

TimG

The flat nosed 95mm used SR 252 as an igniter with PN 83(M) as the smoke composition. To all intents and purposes PN 83(M) is the same as SR 264A(M)

Last edited:
Many thanks to both for the information.

Do either of you (or anyone else) have a diagram of the 95mm flat nosed smoke proj, or a picture of one sectioned?

Cheers

D