What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y fuze Restoration

satan18

single phase siren 872.jpgsingle phase siren 897.jpgsingle phase siren 898.jpg

In situations like these i would have left well alone but corrosion from
the battery cells was damaging the side casing so i decided to re dress
the casing and go for a re paint and clean up,and im pleased how it came
out.
some might say no but now its good for displaying and almost the right colour
to

Hi Phil,

Its always a very fine line between restoration, preservation and leaving 'as is'.
In most cases the latter is always the best option, but as you have explained the reasoning behind this one then I am sure it is justified. The photographs may not show the true extent of damage - I can certainly see a distortion on the original photograph.
One thing I think is perhaps important is to document the item in its original format before undertaking any work, that way you have a true record of the 'before' and an unmolested record.
As always your work is excellent and you have preserved it for future generations. The top of the fuze is outstanding.
Very scarce fuze and one that many people would love to add to their collections I'm sure.

May I ask did you manage to get into the internals at all?

Thank you for sharing this with the fourm

all the very best Kev

Evening Kev
Thanks and although the casing did have a lot of paint left on it the corrosion had bulged it
to the point of not being able to fit in a fuze pocket,so very carefully re formed the sides and
got away with about as much filler you could put on your thumb nail,so i was lucky there.
i didnt attempt to get into this one as i might have damaged it but realy would like to know
where i could get it xrayed to display with the fuze,and ive tried the local hospital who i know
someone who works there and no luck im afraid.

Regards phil

To have an x-ray to display next to this fuze would be fantastic.
just a thought.....perhaps a dental surgery?

all the best Kev

Tried the dentists Kev and they only use the pin piont xray machines now which dont cover wider
areas,but im thinking off a metal analysing company that tests structural steel for stress fractures
and still do it by xrays,just got to find a company that does that kind of work now.

Best phil

View attachment 99038View attachment 99039View attachment 99040

In situations like these i would have left well alone but corrosion from
the battery cells was damaging the side casing so i decided to re dress
the casing and go for a re paint and clean up,and im pleased how it came
out.
some might say no but now its good for displaying and almost the right colour
to
Hi,
in what condition were the insides ? Judging from the corrosion on the outside, one would expect a very bad state of corrosion of all iron/steel-parts inside, like screws, wiring, springs, contacts a.s.o. If you don't clean and preserve the insides, corrosion will continue and eat up the fuze from inside outwards. The 2 fixation-screws in the head look ok and still in a condition to fulfill their function in reverse and screw out. What's the diagnosis of the fuze-doctor ?
Greetings,
Bellifortis.

Careful Phil,i took this very fuze to a dentist once for an x-ray and he bricked it a bit when i explained what it was lol.

Great restoration,great boss stampings.

cheers

waffy

Hi Martin
unfortunately after i had taken the paint and everything of i didnt want to go in to this fuze
as where corrosion had split the casing i could only remove the build up and with the splits
just clean out affected areas due to the force required to seperate the outer casings i feared
more irreversable damage and have encountered this before where i have seperated 17A fuzes
and had to make the lower casings and hydraulic press the clock casing out.
i want to get this xrayed to see what lies inside and am happy to rest on that until perhaps
a good stripping example comes along.
on the plus side i did manage to soak the fuze and hopefully with a powerfull air line have cleaned
enough to keep the rot at bay.
all the best phil